1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shutting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lilrebel, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lilrebel

Lilrebel Thread Starter

Hi.. Im having problems in shutting my computer down.. it wont... I have to shut if off manually... which i know is not good... Not sure if Im in the right area here or not.. hopefully I am....:) I am running windows 98 second edition.. Looking forward to a reply thankyou for your time...
    Lil Rebel...

2. Marturo

Marturo Guest

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Lilrebel
    Shutdown problems can be difficult and rather tedious to diagnos. If you don't already know I will briefly explain what happens when you shutdown your system.
    Windows sends out what is called Shutdown packets to all running software and hardware. While the packets are being executed by the Software and Hardware Windows itself is in the process of shutting down. All these tasks by other hardware and software must be completed before Windows completes it process. If any program or piece of hardware is slow or refuses to respond or shutdown the shutdown process will hang and not complete.
    An easily understandable senerio happens to me quite often. I click on my shutdown sequence and then turn my printer off right away. Unfortunatly Windows has already sent a shutdown packet to the printer. Well the printer is off so it cannot do what windows wants it to do, so hang.......................reset and scandisk at restart.

Well bottom line here is you have to find out what is not responding fast enough before windows does its final rounds.
    It may be Windows is shutting down to fast and has to be delayed.

Since the process can be rather lengthy and detailed it is best to give you a Website to follow the step to track down what is occuring.
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

Work methodically through this site and it should help you find the problem.

If you need our help please ask.
    Keep us posted to your progress and conclusion.
    Dave

4. Marturo

Marturo Guest

davey 7549 is right on the money with this shut down problem. Just because the Microsoft Windows 98SE fast shut down patch worked for me, it might miss 100 others. Everyones Computer is different, so just because this works for Joe it may not work for John. I believe you now have a better understanding of how things work, so given that and the many fixes provided you, we hope this solves your problem. If not please let us know, and we can try some other things to help you get rid of this very anoying problem. Windows 98 SE is a fine operating System, however like all Operating Systems it has it's share of problems. Gook luck to you Lil Rebel, I hope this fixes your problem and get's you back to enjoying your Computer very soon. Marturo

5. Lilrebel

Lilrebel Thread Starter

Well ,,, I found the problem.. it had to do with me configuring my audio for midi's to play... but am now left once again with the problem of the midi's not playing.. actually they play,, but cannot hear them unless I default the config under midi... I am currantly trying to build a web page and would otherwise have no use for the midi as of so far..
    After deleting all temp internet files,, shut down still didnt work,, then when I realized the last thing I did (which was configure midi to default) I went and undid what I had done... Poofff!! Shut down works perfectly... :D
    But now am still left with no midi capabitlites... hmmm any suggestions???;)
    Once again thx for the help re: shutdown..

LilRebel...

PS... am sure learning lots from you guys!! THANK GOD I FOUND YOUR SITE!!! :D
    Have even referred others to you whom you have helped...
    Many thanks..

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

LilRebel
    I am happy you identified the Shutdown problem and unhappy it brought you back to another problem. I am not that versed in sound situations so really cannot help there. The best thing I think you could do now is start a new thread specifically targeting the low sound problem and how you configure Midi to compensate for it. Make sure you reference the machine will not shutdown when you do this.
    Putting it in another thread will allow other to get a fresh look at it.
    Just a thought though and it may be way off base but try removing the exit sound track for windows from your shutdown routine. Go to start\settings\control panel\sounds and set the exit sound to none Click apply, click OK. Now reconfigure your Midi and see if the unit shuts down. Mind you this is just a wild stab in the dark.

Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice