1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sick Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by k redmond, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

I have a HP Windows XP that is so bogged down it takes 15 minutes to get to the desk top. Any other function takes twice as long. Can anyone tell me what to do to clean up the mess.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Has it always been so bad and what is your PC specs?

3. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

Don I ran the Hijack and Cshedder and it is alot better. It has just had this problem since we went on vacation and our house sitter left the instant messager running by mistake for several days. It is a HP Pavillion 533C. I am running Windows XP Thanks for the response

4. Dan O

Dan O

Also Run MSCONFIG, select the Startup tab, and un-check everything you don't need. You can experiment as you can re-check one if you find you needed one of them.

5. k redmond

k redmond Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Don. Do you have any idea why the cd rom will not read. I can't run any of the restore programs because I can't get the cd to read. Thanks :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!