1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Side-by-side configuration incorrect - application errors after System File Check

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by H3r0, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. H3r0

H3r0 Thread Starter

So recently, I received a blue screen of death. The error was something along the lines of:
    page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

When it restarted, windows advised me to perform a system file check. So I left my computer for a bit, and when I came back it was already at the logon screen. However, when I logged on and started firefox, first thing I noticed was that all my bookmarks and some extensions had been wiped.
    I then tried to start Microsoft Word but I received the following error:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect";

I receive that error for most of my other programs.

When I tried to run event viewer, it says:

"MMC could not create the snap-in"

Please help. Is it possible to restore my applications without reinstalling them all?

Sysinfo Log:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3066 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 289804 MB, Free - 64740 MB; D: Total - 15359 MB, Free - 9693 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0F237N, A09, .2WZ222S.CN4864395K0725.
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

EDIT: I ran SCF again. It said it detected corrupted files but when I restarted my computer, I am still unable to run most of my applications. Itunes also requires me to reinstall. Latest Minidump also attached

Attached Files:

2. H3r0

H3r0 Thread Starter

I've also tried repairing my programs in 'add or remove programs' but to no avail.

3. H3r0

H3r0 Thread Starter

bump

4. H3r0

H3r0 Thread Starter

bump

5. H3r0

H3r0 Thread Starter

bump

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried a System Restore to a date before the original problem occured?

7. H3r0

H3r0 Thread Starter

For some reason, it seems that after the file check, all my restore points disappeared. I tried restoring to a restore point created by a windows update after the check was performed, but nothing changed. Furthermore, uninstalling and reinstalling programs does not seem to fix the side-by-side issue. But newly installed programs, or installing updated versions will work e.g. I was able to install Adobe Reader X but reinstalling Adobe Reader 9 did not make it work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!