1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Side by side configuration incorrect

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Largo833, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Largo833

Largo833 Thread Starter

A game demo that I downloaded recently won't run- I just keep getting the message "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

I've been looking online for a solution, and most of what I've seen has said that installing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable solves the problem. So far, I've tried downloading and installing the 2005 and 2008 version of the C++ redistributable, and even the full Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition program without any luck (and when I try to run the Express Edition, I actually get the same error message).

Anyone know what I can do to fix the problem? Thanks in advance!

2. Largo833

Largo833 Thread Starter

bump- anyone able to help me with this?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try running the demo again, then go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer / Application events folder. See the latest events and see if there are some red colored error messages. Let us know what you find.

4. Largo833

Largo833 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I found the event in the log and here's what it shows-

"General" tab:
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Muzzy Lane Software\Making History II\MH2.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

XML view of "Details" tab:
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-17T03:33:10.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>34577</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Tom-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>
    <Data>Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Muzzy Lane Software\Making History II\MH2.exe</Data>

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

<Data />

</EventData>

</Event>

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice