1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Side-by-Side configuration is incorrect

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by amazon22, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amazon22

amazon22 Thread Starter

When I turned on my computer yesterday it automatically began a Windows 10 update. Took forever...so long I walked away. Came back to it today and had to restart my computer. I use QuickBooks Pro for our business. It will not open. I click on the shortcut and get an error, "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I am NOT a computer person. I don't know what that means. I searched the system settings and found the event log. It says, "Activation context generation failed for C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2013\QBW32.EXE". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b*,type="win32:,version=*9.0.21022.8* could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis. "

That's just the first event. It lists 272 that show "warning" or "error". I have no clue what I am looking at. Is this something that can be fixed? I did try a system restore. It did not help. That is the extent of my computer knowledge.

I just checked a couple of other programs and noticed that Word and Excel no longer respond. The little circle goes round and round, but nothing happens.

I tried to scroll through a few pages of threads currently out there, but I didn't see one with this problem, or if it was similar I didn't understand the lingo.

I would appreciate any help. Just PLEASE be specific and dumb it down for me.

Thanks so much!

2. jenae

jenae

Hi, this problem can have a number of causes, first are you logged on with a local account, and does this account have administrator privileges?

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open.

At the prompt copy and paste this cmd:-

net user > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Post the notepad output here. Please indicate which account you are logged on with.

3. amazon22

amazon22 Thread Starter

User accounts for \\BROADDUS-PC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Administrator Broaddus DefaultAccount
    Guest WDAGUtilityAccount
    The command completed successfully.

This is a home pc. I am the default login/admin. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Also, I have file explorer pinned in the task bar. It will pull up, but it won't open the files for excel or word. Tried to open an excel file and got this error: "The Application Virtualization Client could not launch the application you requested. The Application Virtualization Client service is not running. Report the following error code to your System Administrator. Error Code: 46362C1-0FA10612-00006003."

Wasn't sure if this would give you anything helpful. Thanks, again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  4. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    amazon22 likes this.
  5. amazon22

amazon22 Thread Starter

peterh40:

There are several Microsoft Visual C++ files. They are: 2005 ATL Update (installed 2010), 2005 Redistributable (inst. 2011), 2005 Redist. (inst. 2011), 2008 Redistrib. - KB24671... (inst. 2011), 2008 Redist. - x86 9.0.3... (inst. 2011), another 2008 Redist. - x86 9.0.3... (inst. 2011), and 2013 Redist. (x64) - 12.0.3... (inst. 6/28/2018), which is the date my system auto updated.

Then after I scroll down a little more there are three Visual Studio listed, all from AVG Tech. They are 2008 x64 Redistrib (inst. 2011), 2012 x64 Redistrib (inst. 2013), and 2012 x86 Redistrib, (also inst. 2013)

I am assuming this is what you are referring to? I don't see the word "runtime" anywhere so if there are more I don't know what else to look for. So given the lists above, is there something else I need installed or uninstalled?? Are the 2008 above different than the link you attached?

Just FYI, I had some issues about three years ago with AVG and have since tried to uninstall it from my PC. It will NOT GO AWAY!! I have another thread on here asking how to fix that issue and did not get a response. You might want to read that. I ended up going without virus protection for a very long time because every time I tried to run a new program it would do the same thing to my PC and I would have to go through all that crap again.

Really appreciate your time!

6. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    You are correct, it is Visual C++ Redistribution, not runtime. Anyway, they provide support DLLs for programs written using C++ in Visual Studio.
    There are different versions, depending on which version of Visual Studio the program was written in. So, you can end up with several redist. versions installed.
    The files are installed to C:\Windows\System32 (or syswow64) and in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\VC. So you can check those locations for any missing files.
    As for the 'Application Virtualization Client service is not running.' error, this can also be due to missing required files.
    See this article about quickbooks and VC++ Redist:
    https://community.intuit.com/articles/1501466-uninstall-or-reinstall-microsoft-visual-c

amazon22 likes this.
  7. amazon22

amazon22 Thread Starter

Thank you for the quickbooks article. I read it and downloaded the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable". I did NOT uninstall any files as I didn't know which one was tied to quickbooks. There were 3, and I now have 4 such files showing. It did allow quickbooks to open and all appears to be normal. (THANK YOU!!) However, Word and Excel still will not open/respond.

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. The day I started having problems was the 28th, after my PC went through "Your computer is updating. Do not shut down. This will take several minutes. Your computer will restart several times." Blah, blah, blah. It seems one of the files it "updated" and installed was, as I mentioned before, one of the Visual C++ files. Is it a bad idea to uninstall that file? It is the only 2013 Redist. and it says (x64) where all the other redist say xs86. I don't know what that means or if it even matters. Or what do I need to do to get W and X back?

And just FYI, W and X they are the "Starter 2010" versions that came with the PC. I didn't purchase an upgrade as they were all I really needed. Again, it may be TMI.

Can't thank you enough for your help!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  8. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Glad to have helped.
    I have found, for Office Starter, that if there are updates waiting, they must be installed before you are allowed to run Word or Excel again. So, check Windows Updates and see of there are any awaiting updates or check to see what updates have failed. If necessary, try one update at a time, to ensure that the updates apply ok. Then try opening Word and Excel. I would leave any Visual c++ files alone.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...un-pop-up-message-that-an-update-is-available

amazon22 likes this.
  9. amazon22

amazon22 Thread Starter

I went to Apps & Features and it shows three office apps: M O 2010 (inst. 9/2013), M O Click-to-Run 2010 (inst. 6/28/2018) and M O Starter 2010 - English (inst. 6/28/2018.

When I click on the first two it only gives an option to Uninstall. When I click on Starter, it gives the options MODIFY or UNINSTALL. When I clicked on modify to see what information it would give me a window popped up: Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler. Do you want to allow this app to make changes? I clicked yes. After about 30 seconds another pop up, "click to run app manager" said Click-2-Run configuration failure .

When I search for updates it lists one: 2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64..... and it is pending a restart. I am going to restart my PC after I backup my files so I guess I'll find out if this is it.

10. amazon22

amazon22 Thread Starter

Well I guess that was it. Word and Excel are working now. Thank you for your patience and your help. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It's nice to know there are options out there like this site for computer dummies like me. Best wishes!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice