1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Side-by-side configuration problem and file association. Please help!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DarkHaloPrincess, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarkHaloPrincess

DarkHaloPrincess Thread Starter

The problem started today. None of my microsoft office programmes open up - Word, Excel etc. The suite has been istalled on my computer for the last year and have had no problems. However, yesterday when a update for my sony reader failed to complete I had to 'end task' the sony update - could this have corrupted something? I've removed the sony software from the computer but still nothing works. Everytime I click on the word/excel etc icons to open up the applications I get this message: This file does no have a programme associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations panel.

So I accessed the control panel and looked over all these applications and the extensions. All extensions like .doc etc have the correct default programme - e.g. .doc is defaulted to Word. But the problem is that I can't even open up the Word application itself.

I uninstalled the microsoft office 2007 suite through control panel, rebooted the computer and reinstalled. And then I tried the following:-

When I double click on the Word icon on the desktop to open it that way, I get the message: This application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

- I did check out the event log and found this message:

MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have installed correctly.
    NAME: Event Viewer
    CLSID:FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

Also: when reinstalling the microsoft office suite, during installation I got a message saying that the 'send to onenote' driver failed to install because it was missing and I clicked 'ok' and continued installation. Please note that this message did not come up the first time I installed this suite back in July 2009.

Can someone help me please? I haven't a clue what's wrong and it just won't work. None of the office programmes are opening and I'm getting really frustrated.

Edit: Just checked other progammes. Adobe and such aren't working either. The same messages show up. List of programmes which are not working: Adobe Reader 9/ Windows Live Messenger/.
    When I click on Norton it doesn't open up BUT it does open up when I click the icon on the task bar. My network adapter is working (I'm on the internet now obviously) but the adapters application doesn't open up.

I've got Windows Vista, 32-bit operating system, service pack 2.

Thanks.!

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

If you Google the last error message and the CLSID of {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510} you will find lots of people with the same problem, but they don't all appear to have been "fixed" the same way.
    Some involve a DLL file and others seem to implicate AVG.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!