1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sidebar gadgets moving/changing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cheetah_pita, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheetah_pita

cheetah_pita Thread Starter

hi,

i've had vista for a couple months now, and recently the sidebar has been changing whenever I start up my computer. It started gradually at first- a gadget moved up or down, nothing major, and it would often fix itself if I click on one of them- and then progressed to the point where I have all these random gadgets and it never keeps them in the original order. Any ideas?

thanks

2. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

a little late in the day, but the gadgets in my sidebar move into different positions every time i start the computer. i don't get any new gadgets appearing though, just the ones i have selected. it's just they move. i just put it down to the glitchyness of vista in general

3. darveaux

darveaux

Yeah it's a known problem that is supposed to being taken care of. The problem happens anytime the system changes it's native resolution. Most people argue they don't which of course is true in some cases but what they don't realize is that they do everytime they play a game or run certain cd/dvd's...the res changes, hence the screwup.

4. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar

ah, i see. yeah, we run some things full screen at times, so i guess that changes the native resolution. cheers for clearing it up. maybe it'll be fixed in sp1 when it comes out...

5. darveaux

darveaux

That and some other things would be nice right?!! :)

I only run weather and CPU 2 Core gadget. Don't really bother with any of the others...I got a buddy who has like 20 things...don't know how he puts up with it.

6. redox

redox

When you install new gadgets, uninstall old gadgets, or sometimes when gadgets crash, the sidebar Settings.ini file gets corrupted. Remember, when you uninstall a gadget, all the ini data is still left behind in the file. To fix this you need to close the sidebar and rename the ini file (xxxSettings.ini), but don’t delete it. When I need to temporally rename files, I use 3 xxx’s because they’re easy to spot. By renaming the file, Vista will build a new (clean) Settings.ini file. You’ll need to add all your gadgets back and adjust their settings. When you’re sure everything’s working fine you can delete the renamed file.

File location: c:/users/your computer/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Sidebar/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/567977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice