1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sidewinder detection fix

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katrob, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katrob

katrob Thread Starter

I have finally gotten a fix for my disappearing Precision 2 USB and thought I would share it here for any who are having problems with disappearing Sidewinder sticks. Here is two fixes sent to me by the UK MS support team:

This sounds like an issue we see from time to time with the non-powered Sidewinder devices. The problem is that the devices sometimes build up a small amount of static that can interfere with the signals passing through the cable. There is an easy way to fix this as outlined below.

1. Unplug the device and examine the USB connection on it.
    2. You should notice that there are five metal parts to the plug.
    >> The metal casing around the plug and
    >> The four pins inside this metal casing.
    3. Each of the pins needs to be connected to the metal casing by means of a metal conductor such as a paperclip or hair clip.
    4. The connection only needs to be held for a second or two.
    5. Do this for each pin inside the plug.
    6. Once this is done you should be able to plug the device back into your PC now.

If the above does not work please try the following,
    1) Remove all USB devices from your computer and uninstall the Sidewinder software.

2) Click START -> RUN, type "msconfig" into the box and press OK. Click on the ADVANCED button and put a check in the box labeled "Enable Startup Menu". Then click OK, OK and then YES.

3) When the computer restarts, you will see a menu, choose option 3, SAFE MODE and hit enter. When windows Boots up, close any open windows, such as "Help And Support".

4) Click with the right mouse button on MY COMPUTER and choose PROPERTIES. This should bring up the System Properties window so click on the DEVICE MANAGER tab.

5) Remove all entries under the following headings:
    > Human Interface Devices
    > Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

And any listings mentioning HID or USB under the section:
    > Sound Video & Game Controllers.

NOTE: To open a section and see it's contents, click the small + beside the section heading.

6) Once this is done, you can close all open windows and restart your computer.

7) Plug back in all of your USB devices except the Sidewinder.

8) Insert the Sidewinder CD and go through the installtion procedure as you normally would.

Thank you for your attention,

Kind Regards
    Frances Ball
    Microsoft Technical Support.

Microsoft Disclaimer
    INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY
    REPRESENTATION OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
    INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CONDITIONS OR OTHER TERMS OF MERCHANTABILITY
    AND/OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE USER ASSUMES THE ENTIRE RISK AS
    TO THE ACCURACY AND THE USE OF THIS DOCUMENT.

Hope anyone with stubborn detection issues will find this usefull (the second one work perfectly for me). Now I just need to find out why my joystick was supposed to be sold in the UK and ended up in a Wal-Mart in Arkansas! (I had to guess a country for the tech support to work with my product #!!!)
    :rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/140344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice