1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Siemens] Accessing Siemens 4200 configuration page with a Linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mystic54, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ok, I have Windstream DSL that connects through a Siemens 4200 modem that goes into my linksys wrt54g wireless router. So how exactly do I access the modem, if when I type in 192.168.1.1 goes to the router. How can I access the modem to port foward? The only current way I can get to access settings on my modem is to go to Windstream.net and go to configurations in the top right. From there I can access the modem. Is there any way to port foward with this modem?

2. datamonger

datamonger

It is not the modem you need to do port forwarding. It is your Linksys where you need to do your port forwarding.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have two routers in the system, the Siemens 4200 and the Linksys. You need to either configure the Siemens 4200 in bridge mode, or connect the Linksys as per the following procedure. Either will allow you to have a single NAT layer that you can access and configure port forwards.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I consider myself to know a lot about computers and appreciate your help but the whole 2 half of your reply JohnWil just went straight over my head :D.

How do I know which one is my secondary router? A lot of third paragraph sounds like I need to have more access that I do right now on my modem. Once again, I really appreciate your reply and I understand parts, I just don't know if I can do parts of it without that kind of access on my modem.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    John is saying that your Siemens 4200 modem is what I prefer to call a "DSL modem/router combo." It includes the functions of both a modem and a router (Network Address Translation). You seem to agree, since port forwarding is something a person can do with a router but has no meaning with reference to a (simple) modem. Also, few people even know that they can access their (simple) modem to get some status.

Your Linksys is your "secondary" router.

You will probably need to connect a PC directly to the Siemens to configure it. After/if you configure the Linksys per John's procedure you will be able to access the Siemens through the Linksys. The Linksys will be acting as a Wireless Access Point and an ethernet switch, not as a router.

6. JohnWill

Yes, what he said! :D

7. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Wow, really don't know what to say about this one. It just sounds like this is way more advanced than I'm up to. Crossover cables, assigning my linksys router to a local ip address outside my dhcp address's. I just don't see how my linksys router could just act as a wireless access point, just seems like I wouldn't be able to modify any settings on my linksys router.

8. JohnWill

The technique works, I can assure you. I have two routers here, and the secondary one is configured exactly as I described. :) I have no problem accessing the secondary router's configuration.

9. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ok, well I am going to send you a private message to ask you for a little help.

10. JohnWill

Read over my example carefully, it's not as complicated as it seems. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/494227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice