1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

*sigh* XP Trouble After Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Imrahiel, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Thread Starter

In trying to fix my son's Dell with XP Home on it, I wiped the disk. Don't ask why, someone scared me into it, said the whole thing was one big virus. Now, after installing XP Pro, it won't let him run any games. Giving messages about having no sound card (does too), can't access DirectDraw. Also not starting up right, always gives me a screen asking me to choose what to load (two choices, both XP Pro) as it counts down from 25 seconds. Since the computer came with XP Home already on it, I have no disk to use to go back to the Home version.

I undoubtedly sound like a ninny. I'm writing this from my computer, because I can't get his online. I'm thinking if you Brains don't know what's up, maybe I should hire a nice techie to come fix it. Any help appreciated. Totally out of my depth. His games are very important to him. Thank you.

2. KHolloman

KHolloman

sounds like you did not format, but instead copied XP pro to another partition, load your disk, choose install XP, delete all existing partitions then try installing

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

It does sound as though you did not boot from the cd and therefore did not perform a true Clean install . . to do that, Prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard
    and mouse, and be sure those are not USB.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

as is this: http://www.doverproductions.com

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet you should be sure you enable the XP firewall.

Hope this helps . . wrs

5. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Thread Starter

Thank you KHolloman, MysticEyes, and Simpswr, I will print out those guides and try to do it right this time. I can tell I did not do it at all correctly this past time. Thanks again very much!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice