1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sigmatel Software Not working Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by I HAVE NO SOUND!, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I HAVE NO SOUND!

I HAVE NO SOUND! Thread Starter

Hi
    For about 6 months I have been trying to fix my sound issue it killing me I have a
    Dell vostro 1700(laptop)
    Vista business 32 bit
    And a broken sigmatel driver

I have tried to call dell several times and as you will know if you have ever rang a call centre none of them can help and most of them don’t even care

So far I have found out that it is defiantly not a hardware issue because I used dell diagnostics CD and got a tune from it so it’s only software related which is a good thing I guess but I have tried over 100 hours to get it Working again and have downloaded several different drivers and all have failed I need a serious tech head who will give me some time and get this thing straightened out and who will be forever thanked for it

Please help thank you

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. I HAVE NO SOUND!

then my full apologys to you

i just dident know where to putit so i thought maximise input for better results
    thanks for greeting me and once again sory if i annoyed anyone by doing this

but please still help me

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not very familiar with Vista (and dread every minute of becoming familiar with it on my newer laptop) And not sure how much I can help with bad drivers.

Have you tried entering the service tag number of your computer on the Dell support web site? That should then give you links for downloading the correct drivers for your particular hardware and operating system.

FWiW, I have found Dell's telephone support staff to be very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful whenever I have called them with problems. Then again we have a commercial account with service contracts on some of our Dell hardware.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and scroll down to Sigmatel and see if that's the sound driver that you're looking for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

6. I HAVE NO SOUND!

lol that update is the thing that caused the problem but thanks for tryng

7. Classics

Classics

Not sure how you installed the drivers but this should be the fool proof way, try this and if it doesn't work I will continue trying to help.

Download the latest drivers for your Sound Card
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...plash?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~mode=popup&file=235779

Unplug your Ethernet Cable and make sure Wifi is disabled
    Boot your computer in safe mode (Usually press F8 on the POST screen)
    Go into you Device Manager (Start->Control Panel->Device Manager)
    Open the "Sound, video and game controllers" drop down box
    Uninstall the Drivers for Your sound card and check "Delete Driver Software for this Device"
    Reboot into normal mode
    Install the new Drivers
    Reboot
    Plug your Ethernet Cable Back in and/or enable Wifi

I say unplug your Ethernet because what may have caused the problem is Vista automatically downloaded and installed the wrong drivers, its happened to me before.

I hope this helps

8. I HAVE NO SOUND!

ok thanks i will try this i will post after trying

9. I HAVE NO SOUND!

i have tryed both the drivers on this page but both are the same result thank you for the link

how easy is it to re install my vista
    i have the os disk

10. I HAVE NO SOUND!

ok i have done what you said with 4 difrent drivers one from recovery parition one from the drivers cd one from the dell site and one from a driver download site all failed the same red x is there although device maneger says the device is working properly no cod4 wont load neither will my another program it says need ful duplex sound card or something

i cant think of anything

exept for .... reinstalling vista is that hard? i have the disk

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Did Vista come pre-installed in that laptop or did you upgrade to it from XP after you bought it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Threads merged.
    Please continue replies for this issue in this thread.

Thank you.

13. Classics

Classics

Installing Vista is fairly easy, but all data will be lost, and I'm not sure that it will fix the problem.

Another thing you can try is
    Start->Control Panel->Sound
    Under the playback tab, if you have more then one device listed try going through them and setting each to "Set Default" and test playback.

Make sure that you have the right drivers, the link I provided should be the proper one if you laptop is indeed a Dell Vostro 1700

14. I HAVE NO SOUND!

i have tryed the new driver and the one you inked me but it failed why do you not think reinstallling will fix it

i dont mind about loosing everything i will back it up to my second hard drive then remove it before re install(reinstall is what dell said to do)

vista business came pre installed

if i did a reinstall would i need any codes or keys and where would they be on my computer because its not on the disk

15. I HAVE NO SOUND!

this is a couple of the thing that come up in vairous ares related to sound

one of them says the device is fine???

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!