Tech Support Guy banner

Sign of the times

460K views 8K replies 41 participants last post by  ekim68 
#1 ·
#7,353 · (Edited)
The college age population is going to shrink. So lets popularize post retirement college enrolment, say for the humanities, history and fine arts, since these three areas are going to shrink the most. As a society we can't move forward if history (literary, visual arts history, and 'real' history) is forgotten. And post retirement activity prolongs a healthy life. I, for one, am going to complete my fine arts education after I retire, even though at that age, creativity will be at an all time low.

#7,355 ·
#7,358 ·
#7,360 ·
#7,363 ·

OpenAI Is Now Everything It Promised Not to Be: Corporate, Closed-Source, and For-Profit

OpenAI is at the center of a chatbot arms race, with the public release of ChatGPT and a multi-billion-dollar Microsoft partnership spurring Google and Amazon to rush to implement AI in products. OpenAI has also partnered with Bain to bring machine learning to Coca-Cola's operations, with plans to expand to other corporate partners.

There's no question that OpenAI's generative AI is now big business. It wasn't always planned to be this way.

#7,364 ·
#7,365 ·
#7,369 ·
#7,371 ·

How fake copyright complaints are muzzling journalists

Journalists have been forced to temporarily take down articles critical of powerful oil lobbyists due to the exploitation of US copyright law, according to a new report.

At least five such articles have been subject to fake copyright claims, including one by the respected South African newspaper Mail & Guardian, according to the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).

#7,372 ·
#7,375 ·

Sued by Meta, Freenom Halts Domain Registrations

The domain name registrar Freenom, whose free domain names have long been a draw for spammers and phishers, has stopped allowing new domain name registrations. The move comes just days after the Dutch registrar was sued by Meta, which alleges the company ignores abuse complaints about phishing websites while monetizing traffic to those abusive domains.