1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"signal over range" error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by james_lufc, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james_lufc

james_lufc Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am using Windows Vista and when I turn on my computer there are vertical coloured lines running down the monitor whilst it is booting up. When the computer appears to be booted up, there appears a message on the monitor saying "signal over range". I have restarted in safe mode but am unable to change the refresh rate as the PC doesn't seem to be recognising the monitor - it is certainly missing from device manager. I have uninstalled my GeForce 7500 LE graphics card and rebooted but still have the same problem. Could there be a problem with my graphics card?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks

James

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

What kind of monitor are you using?

I know some of the newer LCD monitors have drivers that need to be installed to work properly.

You may also want to check for any available BIOS flashes/updates.

3. darkwade

darkwade

make sure every thing is plunged in snug, and that your adapter if any has all the pins for your setup

4. james_lufc

james_lufc Thread Starter

I am using a fairly new LCD monitor but I have had it for a couple of years with no issues. It's only since yesterday that I've been having the problem and everything is plugged in correctly. I have also tried it with a different monitor but still have the same problem. How do you check for BIOS flashes/updates?

Thanks

5. darkwade

darkwade

depends on the motherboard you might want to post in the hard ware area for that

6. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

You will need to check the current version of your BIOS then go to your motherboard's manufacturer's website and see if there are any available BIOS flashes/updates for it.

You can check the current version a couple different ways. You can either check it yourself by going into the BIOS (usually by hitting the Delete key during bootup prior to the operating system's splash screen, but it can be different depending on the motherboard's manufacturer; there's usually a prompt in one of the corners of the screen that tells you which key to press to get into 'Setup'), or you can use a piece of software (like SysSpec or SiSoftware Sandra Lite) to scan your computer and get the BIOS information (and then some ;)).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice