1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Signatures

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by CLHanssen, Feb 11, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. CLHanssen

CLHanssen Thread Starter

How come we can see our signatures, but a link to the signature? I would love to see it here. Thank you.

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Welcome to TSG CL! :) What do you mean exactly? :confused:

3. hewee

hewee

I see a linl in your sig.

4. deh

deh

If i'm not mistaken i think they are referring to pictures in the signature as done in many forums.
    So if they provide a link to a picture it would show the picture in the signature. For ex. In many forums the original posters signature would show a picture because they included a link to a picture in thier sig.
    I am against this. Not only is it bad for those with low bandwidth but it fills up the screen quicker so someone with a one line post and a signature with a huge photo could literally fill up 1/4 of the screen.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I agree Deh. I have been to a few gamers forums where the sigs are totally out of hand. A 200x600 pic in the sig.:eek:

I don't like'em.

6. AvvY

AvvY

I agree - I use a pic in my sig on other forums - such as my own - but I keep it rather small, so it doesn't take up a lot of space. But I don't think that is really needed here.

I tried to attach my pic in my sig but found it didn't work, but then I realise I didn't really need to. Most of the pics in sigs are stupid anyway - Mine is just advertisement for my site like my text base on is for here.

Late,

7. NightLord

NightLord

At my resolution (1280x960) Hewee's signature is showing up as about the same thing (600x200 acually is exactly it :D), and there are A LOT of ppl here that do the same... So I don't think adding the tag will significantly change the sizes of sigs.
    Anyway, if allowed it would be a good thing to allow ony a height of like 100 px or something... It would be nice though, it sure spices things up ;-)
    Sigs contests, showcases and what not... it's fun!

/NL

8. hewee

hewee

Mike has said over and over that he will not have images in the sig here.
    Now on the text on mine it does not take the same amount of as a image. It loads text many times faster then it loads a image.
    Mike even cut down on the file size limit of the sigs but grandfather what we had so it worked but when I went to edit it I had to take way a lot to get the size down to the new limit size.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

[​IMG]

This is what people do when it is allowed. It looks like crap and the entire page is riddled with garbage that adds nothing of worth to the forums.

It isn't going to happen here. (At least I hope.)

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

/\ Almost 41 kilobytes. My Avatar is 690 bytes. People on dial up would hate that for sure.

11. hewee

hewee

Yes and I have seen even bigger ones then that and also Flash and it really slows down page loads and slows them down even more when they are linked off the forum and you have 25 post in a thread and they are all from 25 members with big sigs linking the sigs to 25 other places.
    It just get out of control.

12. Big-K

Big-K

I'm not a huge fan of them, but I must admit that I do like creating them. I've made quite a few out of images from webcomics, as well as this one. The thing is, I prefer to keep them at least fairly simple. This is 50kb, and is currently posted at the bottom of my sites main page. This kind of thing I wouldn't have much problem with(although I should make it smaller, as in resolution wise).

Attached Files:

13. hewee

hewee

Yep that is a big one K-Man. But if a thread has say 25 post and they each have a sig like that and each post was from another member your now have 25 images at 50 KB. Less when it is the same member in each post because it loads the one image that shows in each of his post. But that can add up to 1250 KB if you have 25 images at 50 KB so not to good getting page loads like that on dial up or cable if you have page after page that has images like that on it.
    Then you time that by the 1000's of people here and really adds up big time.

14. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Here's my 2cents:
    I do like fancy signatures, and care not if pages take a while to load, but I can see how larger signatures ie the one shown in post#9, may clutter up the pages...and make the threads challenging to read what is typed and end up looking like adverts. :eek:
    I donated to lose the ads and having these picture-type signatures make them appear as such. ;)
    Carolyn :)

15. NightLord

NightLord

:D LOL :D Skivvywaver that is a nasty one! Oh boy.... These are the ones that ruin the fun for everybody!

The loading of a sig is only done once, cause the second time it appears it will be in your Temp dir. Plus that the loading is not that big of a deal nowadays, almost everybody had broadband. I agree however with not allowing flash tags, those can be irritating.
    Secondly the first argument against them siggies was that it takes up too much space, for that I find big and in my opinion useless sigs like those with links, poems and "My rig" in them and what not just as annoying.

Don't the admins know that there's a VBB hack around that allows signature nuking? Everybody can specify in their profile whether they want to see sigs or not. That would solve the problem....

/NL

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice