Silly Question - CMOS Batteries

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

arknorth

Hey gang, odd question...

I'm giving my nephew a new old computer I'm rehabilitating for him - A Dell Latitude D530 with a Windows 10 upgrade that's working great - 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD, which will replace an older D510 I gave him a while back, since XP is unfortunately being squeezed for its usefulness, now that folks like Chrome are starting to end service on it as well.

Here's the kicker - the guy I got this carcass from gave me all the goodies for it save one - the CMOS battery (I won't tell ya the weirdness of it all when I tuned on this very Dell computer and got an HP logo... well, at least I know where he got the HDD from). Unlike most confusers from Dell of the period that use a wrapped coin or button cell battery that plugged in a jack on the board, this one has a good old fashioned coin-style battery holder in the memory expansion bay. Mine is very empty, so every time I remove the battery and power pack, the time setting skips a beat. Oddly, the only thing the Dell Service Manual and the Owner's Guide states is HOW TO REMOVE the dang thing, which I would hope any of us would know how to do. At not place in either of these guides does it say what TYPE of battery it is! Is it a 1.5V, a 3V... a CR16XX... WHAT?

Worse, you can't Google it either. Google keeps trying to redirect you to the D630, which has a completely different system, and just to add idiocy to lunacy, someone once asked another question-site about a mythical Inspiron D530 (which never existed), making the traditional search system more useless.

SO... my question to you all is what type and size CMOS battery goes into a Dell Latitude D530?

Thanks guys,

A-N

managed

Allan
Look at the Cmos battery that's in it now, it should have model info on it, then get the same type.

arknorth

Umm... As I noted, it's not there, otherwise I would not have asked.

managed

Allan
Ok, measure the diameter of the holder, if it's about 2 cm/0.8 inches it's probably a CR2032 type which you should find locally or if not try Ebay.

arknorth

Thanks - I agree, as does the confuser, as it is not keeping its clock in check properly. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to fry something.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online