Silver Compound Excess

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

medallion

PC that was beeping (mobo misconfig, I guess ) has been thankfully
parted out. The CPU, AMD Duron 750, had silver spreading out from the
top crown. Yes, I did that, but the question is how do I remove all
that silver from CPU and is there anyway this excess was contributing
to what seemed like a reallllllllllly bad board/bios problem ???

-M

If you are referring to Arctic Silver heat compount, or similar then yes it could cause problems.

It is conductive to electricity and if it covers any components (including any SMD's on the CPU upper surface) then it can be a source of problem.

The Duron 700 does have about 15 SMD chips on the upper surface surrounding the CPU die from memory.

Not only is it conductive like kiwiguy stated it is a excellent insulator keeping heat in on the CPU when used in excess, heat sink compound should be used sparingly a very thin layer is all that is needed, it's Purpose is for filling in microscopic dips and valleys in mounting surfaces of the heat sink and CPU heat spreader there fore less is better a paper thin layer evenly spread is all that is required any more and it will lift the heat sink away from the CPU heat spreader creating an air space and making the heat sink completely useless, then your CPU fries.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online