1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Similar Posts But None With My Prob.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by algo19, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. algo19

algo19 Thread Starter

Ok All,

This is my first post. I lurk sometimes to find some answers but have always been able to figure it out with out posting. Thank you all for the help you have given others and myself. With that being said this is the issue.

I am not a computer genius but I know more than the average joe. I have had to figure out a multitude of problems, some for myself some for others, some take a day some take a week. I like the challenge and I always figure it out.

UNTIL NOW!

A coworker of mine bought a HP DV9815nr running Vista x32 and gave it to his girlfriend. In four months the thing wasn't working. When he got it back from her he brought it to the office and fiddled with it when we had down time. He would as my advice and I most of the time it was I not him doing all the work. Anytime you would run an application the computer would freeze. I was able to get it so everything worked except the network card. We were able to access the internet wireless but not through broadband.

He was getting frustrated while I was looking for an answer and formatted the D:\HP RECOVERY drive (partitioned) and the C:\ drive. Then consolidated them into one drive. He tried to reinstall Vista from the disk and all was going well until it said no drivers found.

Now is when he asks for my help. We download all the drivers from HP onto a flash drive. Then browse to the folder where the drivers were downloaded to. Next we get a "No Drivers Found Message". After a few more attempts he gets pissed and hard shuts down the notebook. Now when you boot up the laptop it says BOOTMGR MISSING, PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART.

I think, great i have seen this post on here before I will lurke and find the answer, wrong! I have tried everything I can think of and I need HELP!!

-Set bios to load from cd/dvd
    -----Nothing happens still get BOOTMGR MISSING

-Copy Vista to thumb drive/set bios to load it first

-Set bios to load DVD/CD then USB

I am stuck please help. I can now say I have absoutly no idea how to fix this. Thanks in advace for any help and sorry for the long winded post.

Regards,
    Algo

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    When booting from CD/DVD you usually need to press a key to tell the system to actually boot from it, otherwise it ignores it and continues to boot from HD. So try that.

3. algo19

algo19 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I tried it hit F9 and selected usb drive. There was no option for cd\dvd. I had already copied the vista disk to the thumb drive so that was no problem. The response i got from the cpu was:

Disk Error
    Press any key to restart

(i did not press a key and then this popped up (again).

Bootmgr missing
    Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.

any Ideas?

4. algo19

algo19 Thread Starter

Also,

My boot order goes:

1. ATAPI CD\DVD Rom Drive
    2.USB Diskette on Key
    3. USB Floppy
    4 Notbook Hard Drive
    5. Usb Hard Drive
    6. !Network Adapter

The computer only recognizes numbers 4 and 5. I think it is due to the fact that the drivers are not recognized/installed. Just a thought.

5. Orumph

Orumph

BOOTMGR MISSING = files are missing or MBR (master boot record) is missing or messed up.

The OS is not loaded properly or is missing,
    Your friend formatted the disk, it is empty and the OS needs to be reinstalled.

You will need the vista install/restore disk. You can not install vista (normally) from a USB thumb drive. It takes a lot of finagling if anyone has actually gotten it to work yet, I haven't fully looked into it.

You need to put the install disk in the cd rom drive and set that as the first boot device.
    Boot the system, it will say something like,,, "Press any key to boot from the CD......."
    Hit any key and windows should start the install process.

If you don't have a Vista Restore or Install disk, and the vista install was on a hidden partition, then that was probably blown away by the formatting. You will need to contact HP and order the Vista Restore disks.

But until you get past the BOOTMGR MISSING problem, drivers aren't going to help you.

6. algo19

algo19 Thread Starter

Ok, tried that and it did not work. It seems that the computer does not even recognize that there is a cd/dvd drive connected. It only recognizes usb hard drive and the computers hard drive.

i have an external usb hard drive. Should i copy vista to that and give it a try?

7. algo19

algo19 Thread Starter

I have the vista install disk and the hp recovery disks. neither one worked.

8. Orumph

Orumph

If you have set the CD-Rom to the first boot device and put the restore disc in and it is not booting to it, then you have other problems. I would see if this system is under warranty and call the manufacturer to have it serviced, could be hardware related problems.

It should still be under warranty if it is only 4 or 5 months old.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice