Simm Parity Failure messages

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrishanthw

Hello,

On one of my computers, I recently decided to pull out a ram chip to see if i needed more and what they looked like (they are the shorter chips and in total i have 128mb). There are also a few scsi bus lines that i pulled out (one from the motherboard, and one from the scsi adapter), but as far as I see, I've put them back into the proper places. All the wires seem to be in properly and I have one hard drive in the system.

Anway, after I initially pulled out the ram chip, I tried putting it back in (but it was not in properly) and the system when booting up only read 64mb. So I turned it off again, and fiddled around with it and put it back in. When I tried turning it on again, I got these beeping noise, and when I ran the embedded diagnostics, it displayed several error messages such as SIMM Parity failure under the memory address line, memory data line, and memory address bus noise categories. I am very unsure about all the components on the motherboard, and I don't really know what to do in order to get this working again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW, there are about 7 slots for ram on the motherboard, and the ram chips are located within the first 4 slots.

the only beeping noises i know of on boot up are either ram problems or video problems
maybe try only 2 sticks of ram and see if it will boot up

Hi,

You might have a bad RAM. If you are getting parity error at same address every time, that's pointing to a bad RAM.

Some CMOS enable you to turn off parity. You might want to try doing that.

I suppose first and second rows of SIMM is making a bank for 64mb, and 3rd and 4th is a second bank for 64mb. So, you can try removing 1st and 2nd and put 3rd and 4th in 1st and 2nd.
If computer won't boot, you have a bad RAM, 3rd or 4th, or both.

If computer boots with 64mb of RAM showing, you might have damaged the 3rd or 4th slot or simply installed the chips wrong way.

Be very careful touching RAM chips or other components especially if computer room is carpeted.

TJ

chrishanthw

Hi,

There was a problem in the first ram slot. I actually damaged two of the pins, but was able to take out the motherboard and straighten the pins. It is working now. Thanks a lot for the help.

Louis

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online