1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple advice on a monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hermes, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hermes

hermes Thread Starter

Hi.

I am looking for some advice on a choice of monitor. My wife has recently got back into photography after some years mothering and is editing for a large photographers. I want to surprise her with a really good monitor for editing photo's. I can not go wild but want to make sure I get the best I can afford. I then remembered that I know just the people to ask. Please, any suggestions? Make/Model/Avoid.

Thanks in advance.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I would not advise a wide screen for pictures ... or picture editing.
    A monitor with a native 4:3 resolution will be best. These are usually found in the 20" size.

I love my Samsung 204Bs ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226
    The 1600x1200 pixel dimensions are a 4:3 Ratio. It can be run at various display settings without distortion.

4. sickcars

sickcars

If you wan the best picture quality etc CRT's are still the best on the market. LCDs have not beaten the good old CRTs yet so keep that in mind But if you do want to get an LCD then Samsung is a very good brand.

Ciao

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Bologna, I am a retired pro photographer and you couldn't pay me enough to work on a crt monitor these days. Lcd monitors have really taken over for contrast and clarity though to work on photos you do need to deal in the better brands like Samsung and Viewsonic.

6. sickcars

sickcars

Yes you may not like CRTs for whatever reason, but the truth is CRT's are still a bit better then LCD's. I think you should buy an LCD but I'm just saying that CRT's are better but personally If I was to buy a new monitor today I would go LCD but that does not change the fact that CRT's are still better for graphics/pictures etc

If you still think I’m not telling the truth...because It benefits me to lie in this situation?? here are some links you may want to read.

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Monitors/CRT_LCD2.shtml

http://overclockinghq.com/articles/crt_vs_lcd.php

http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/CRTvsLCD.htm

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK the first 2 are from 2004? Well we have had some progress since then and the last one is hardly the review of someone who is highly experienced in graphics. Just read it to know that.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

10. TBW

TBW

I have to go along with griffinspc on the Dell monitors. I have a 2001FP which is a 20" and it rocks ! I paid around 450 for it a year ago and it's still the best 20" monitor I've seen, and I have seen quite a few. There is some darn good LCD's out there that are less expensive and are a pretty good deal. I also have a Hanns-G 19" that I picked up at Newegg for $ 179.00 and for the money it's a fine monitor. Not in Dell's class but still pretty decent for the money.

Like most of the folks said here, you really can't go wrong with a Viewsonic or a Samsung either.

One note- if your running a higher resolution (I'm 1600 x 1200 on the Dell) go with the DVI hook-up if your video card supports it. It does make a noticeable difference.

Happy shopping !

11. hermes

hermes Thread Starter

Thanks evryone, i'll work through these suggestions and links. She wants LCD but i've noticed her boss uses CRT. I wasn't aware of that debate.

Something else I have noticed is the prices are equivalent $ - £ so is it possible to order from the US to the UK or are there compatibility issues?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have 2 Dell 17" Lcd that I bought at the Dell outlet for under $250 that are amongst the best monitors I have ever had...1703FP and 1704FP dvi and analog and outstanding

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice