1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple and Easy Oblivion Question.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cildaten, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

Well I just got the oblivion game... yes I know its been out for awhile but I never tried it.
    Anyways... I dont have the shivering islands or the knights expansion yet. I will get it if I like the game enough to buy the expansion.
    Question is...Can I play the original and install the expansion later without any problems? Like would I have to start over if I installed it?

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Its an expansion pack
    It wasnt out when Oblivion was released
    I believe it just adds extra places to go ..
    enjoy the game i know i did
    Expansion packs to come at a later date

3. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing that out... lol
    I never tried it because I heard the level scaling was terrible.

4. Jones

Jones

Level scaling is not 'terrible', but it certainly adds a different type of gameplay that is not like the traditional 'Leveling up' found in most games.

Basically, as you increase your skill and power, so do the enemies around you. It keeps all the battles challenging, but means that there will be no 'low-level' areas once you reach the higher levels. It's a good system if you like to never outgrow your opponents, but can be frustrating to those players who feel like they never really get any 'stronger' in the game, even though you have more skills and abilities.

BTW - Oblivion is generally accepted as one of the best RPG's ever. I think you'll like it. The graphics and game world are amazing. (y)

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Im here to inform and make you laugh :D:p

6. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

Well i've been playing it and wow is this game amazing.
    I wouldn't say "the best RPG" as Gothic/Fallout hold that title, in my opinion, but it is certainly high on the list.

7. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

The more you get into it the more it will grow on you. I've always thought the bad rap "level scaling" got was uncalled for. RPG's are my game of choice and the elder Scroll series my fave (I'd say Morrowind was slightly better a gaming experience than Oblivion was) I liked the idea that fights always remained challenging, that kept me playing it for a long time after my character stats were maxed out (I'm well over 300 hours of time in Cyrodiil). If you enjoy the game at all Shivering Isles is a must, it adds a whole new look and feel to the game (Knights is just an add on not an expansion, it only adds a new quest line)

edit - just noticed you liked Fallout (one of my all time faves) and the Gothic series (the last was to buggy for me to get into and I gave up on it) so thought I should mention another game you may like ......... the Witcher (unbelievable graphics which still look unbelievable dialed down enough to run on my aging rig), one of the better RPG story lines I've seen in a long long time

8. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

You know, I tried the witcher and it looks great but I cannot stand the fighting style.
    lol, about 10mins of it and I just uninstalled it. I just couldnt get used to the whole changing stances thing.
    I know I would of liked the game but that just threw me off.

9. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I had trouble with that at first (I guess like most I'm used to the button mashing of games like Dungeon Siege and Diablo) but I grew to like it. You have to recognize if your opponents are quick (which usually means lightly armoured) or slow (which usually means heavily armoured) and choose an appropriate fighting style to use against them, then to add to the mix you have to adopt a different style when fighting groups ... and lets not forget monsters, will steel or silver cause more damage :rolleyes: I'm actually finding I love the extra thought it takes to win a fight ... especially when confronted by groups consisting of differing fighting styles

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice