1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple and Free DVD slideshow software needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by kickrz, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kickrz

kickrz Thread Starter

I downloaded ashampoo commander 5 because it was free. Maybe I am not getting it but I have not been able to edit my slideshow once done, I cannot view the file unless the program is installed on the computer I am viewing it on and when I burn it to DVD it doesn't work.

I need a simple and free program. I have about 200+ pictures that I need displayed in slideshow format with background music that can be burnt to a DVD. The option to have it loop is also a must, it has to run for hours.

Can someone please recommend one for me. The free trial usually have some sort of limitation and I don't need super fancy features either.

TIA :)

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried Windows Movie Maker yet ??
    It's free, But with 200+ pictures .. It may not be easy.

Last I looked .. The new Windows 7 movie maker is extremely crippled.
    Are you familiar with .. and have .. Powerpoint ??

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Sounds like you are burning the file to DVD and not burning it into a DVD format.
    You can use programs like Photo Story 3 or even Open Offices Impress to create the slide show and then use program like DVD Flick to burn it as a DVD format that will play on your DVD player connected to your TV.

4. kickrz

kickrz Thread Starter

Thanks!
    I haven't tried any of those and don't know about or have powerpoint. As far as burning the file to DVD that sounds like the issue but the only options it gives me is to save the file to my computer or burn to DVD. When I select burn to DVD it says that is what it is doing.

I found one last night called photo slide show and after a few attempts it looks ok but not sure if the movie and music will loop. I will try to burn it tonight to see if it will and if not I will try the others you have suggested.

Thanks again :)

5. Squashman

From what I read, it only looks like Ashampoo has the ability to burn data files to a CD or DVD. Does not look like it has the ability to burn files in a DVD format for playing on your set top box. DVD flick can do that for you. DVD flick can accept input from many types of input.

6. kickrz

kickrz Thread Starter

Ok so ashampoo makes a file called *.mfalist and that runs only if the program is installed. What do I need to do to get the file ready for DVD flick?

I am going to install DVD flick now.
    I tried the PhotoStage slideshow and it works ok except I can't find out how to make it loop.

ETA: I downloaded DVD flick and when I went to pull my slideshow in it said that it was not supported.

Here is a screenshot of ashampoo where I am after I put the info in for my slideshow and am about to create the file. What should I be selecting here? The thing that really sucks with this program is I cannot edit it once it is done...or I have no clue how to ;) So if it doesn't work I have to create it all over again which at this point I do twice a night for the last 4 night and it is getting so annoying.

Attached Files:

7. kickrz

kickrz Thread Starter

Just tried Windows Movie Maker but with my luck of course it does't loop. Of course I figured that out AFTER working on it for 4 hours :(

8. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

9. Squashman

DVD Flick has a setting to make the DVD Loop. You just need to create you slideshow in something DVD Flick can accept as input. It has many input options.

10. kickrz

kickrz Thread Starter

Ok thanks. So my movie output options are
    Burning straight to DVD
    .avi
    .wmv
    .asf
    .mpg
    .3gp
    .mp4
    .mov
    .flv

Which is the best?

11. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill

Irfanview allows you to create a slideshow that can create a self-contained CD or DVD that contains within it all the information to run the slideshow without requiring extra software. It loads a copy of the Irfanview .exe file with the picture information. That said, I think it requires the DVD to be run through a computer to achieve that and not just a DVD player. An excerpt from the Irfanview help files is:

"There are several options for slideshow. If there is a check mark in the box, the option is "on." Unchecked means "off."
    You can set the Start file number default is file no 1. If the option Remember last file index on exit is set, the start file number will be filled with the last file from previous slideshow.
    Click Loop slideshow to cause the slideshow to play continuously. The next option is Suppress errors during playing. Next option is Loop MP3 files. You can use MP3 files (with installed PlugIns) as background music, so you can loop one MP3 file until the next MP3 is loaded or the slideshow ends. The last before final option is Hide mouse cursor; click to make the mouse cursor "invisible" while the slideshow is playing. During a random slideshow, an image won't be shown more than once, a history list allows browsing. On the right is one more option Show text; click this to display the file infos of the image as it appears on screen. IrfanView can display a variety of file infos like name, size, date/time, EXIF/IPTC/Comment infos, etc. Check this page for more infos about text possibilities."

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice