Simple Command To Solve A Big Problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

strikerttd

Hello fellow!

I am new to these forums, and have decided to give them a question of my own.

I have a network of PCs of 100+ computers, and have a single file that I need to place on every computer. They all have a single folder shared, which is named exactly the same as the next, so my question is this:

Is there a command that I could use to copy a file from my computer to the folder on each of the Computers on my network, without having to type the command 100+ times?

In a simple way, I am asking this -- Is it possible to do this:

copy "c:\something.bat" "\\*\c:\shared folder\something.bat"

I am sure that we have all had a bit of command line experience, so this command should be pretty easy to understand.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No, but if you have a list of the computer names in the computers in the network, you could write yourself a canned script file to do the job.

copy "c:\something.bat" "\\computer_1\c:\shared folder\something.bat"
copy "c:\something.bat" "\\computer_2\c:\shared folder\something.bat"
copy "c:\something.bat" "\\computer_3\c:\shared folder\something.bat"
etc.

strikerttd

Well, it does not have to be in the form of a batch file.

If there is a bit of program code that can locate network machines, that would be a big help also.

Basically, I am looking for the simplest way to be able to do this, whether it be MS-DOS commands, or C++.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, you could write a program to scan the network for all the connected machines, but that's going to be more time consuming than just hacking together a batch file. :D

strikerttd

That's... Not really the answer I was looking for, but I know I can build a program to do this for me..

I am not doing this for just one file, it will be used for multiple files and perhaps will be used in the future, so technically speaking, it will save me a lot of time.

Now, I know that I did not tell you this, but it was not necessary at the time. All I asked for was simple code to make my life easier, but it seems that coming here has just cost me time that I could have used for more constructive purposes.

So please, do not try to tell me something that I my stunning grammar would have not already made you assume that I am more intelligent than a household mother of five who just needs some quick answers, and that I would have already assumed the aspect of my problem from which you have just made more apparent to me.

Thank you for your time, but try to me more of an adult the next time you answer someone else's questions. This website is for adults, not children.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I fail to see how I insulted you, but your childish outburst here makes me think that if you're an adult, you don't know how to act like one. :rolleyes:

We can only respond to the information provided and the scenario you present. You asked for a simple solution, and I presented one. Very few people are equipped to write a program to address a more complex solution to an issue like this. Obviously, if it's a scenario that will be repeated with different parameters many times, it starts to make more sense. However, you gave no hint that you know C++ from a hole in the ground, so one could only assume that programming was not an option, lacking any information to the contrary.

Refer to the last line in my signature, I really am not clairvoyant. :confused:

Out of curiosity: How are the 100+ computers on your network set up? Is this a peer-to-peer network, or are they on a domain? If they are on a domain, you can do it without writing a single program.

If they are peer-to-peer, an easy way is to share the file from a specific folder on one machine. Have the other machines copy the contents of that specific folder to they local machines using a simple one-line script (run it from the Startup folder).

I'd need more information than what you provided to be more specific.

Courtney

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
100+ Computers and you don't have a naming scheme for them.

100+ computers would have a difficult time on a peer to peer workgroup network. I am hoping he is on a domain.

This is an easy enough batch file if you can get a list of your Computer names and hopefully they all have the same share name and path. You can make a loop in a batch file to pull in the computer names one at a time and copy the file to each of the computers shares.

You can use NBTscan to get a list of your computer names.
http://www.inetcat.net/software/nbtscan.html

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, the NBTscan -e seems to be a better choice for the task. :)

Cute little utility, thanks for posting it.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Actually, the NBTscan -e seems to be a better choice for the task. :)

Cute little utility, thanks for posting it.
Well, I didn't think I needed to post the actual code he needed to use. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I didn't think I needed to post the actual code he needed to use. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.
That's certainly true! :D However, I got the impression in this case it might be necessary. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online