Simple DOS question, just need a little help...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

principessa

hi... this must be pretty basic to all of you, but i'm not that experienced and was wondering if someone could tell me the exact command to delete a given file in dos? my father's computer has 3 viruses in files that the system is using and i'd like to be able to get rid of them for him.
there is one other thing, i don't know if you'd want to help but ...the particular dll files are se.dll and cpld.dll and i was wondering if any of you are familiar with these as genuine NECESSARY dlls, or if they seem like just implanted files that i won't have to replace... (if i do need to replace them, would i have to do that in dos as well?)

se.dll is an adware BHO file.
cpld.dll is a file belonging to Open Office and its a valid file.

What version of Windows are you running, and why do you need to go into DOS to remove the files?

Remember that later Windows versions have no DOS, only a DOS emulator running under Windows, which will not help you at all in removal.

Can you give a bit more info? Removing files arbitrarily can be less than helpful.

principessa

ooooh boy, i think this is going to be a bigger headache than it seemed - my father's computer is windows ME. we used norton antivirus and it could not clean OR delete the files. that's why i'm looking to delete them in dos, but i had no idea that might not be possible in his version... any suggestions at all? thanks, kiwiguy :) take care!

Actually, it may be worth just restoring the OS for the sake of time. If you are going to do that, I would suggest moving him to Windows XP home rather than ME. I think the upgrade version will cost you less than $100.
Good Luck!

principessa

restoring the OS? what do you mean? (is it the same as using the "quick restore" cd? because i believe he's done that already and it didn't help...)
i am reluctant to move him to XP because he's very uncomfortable with computers, and with the different interface, i'll never hear the end of it :)

i'll try those programs - i hope something works, and will post back soon!

principessa

okay, cc cleaner just appears to be a program that cleans junk from your computer, and the other 2 - i don't know what the buster one is, but the other seems like just a spyware remover, and i don't know if that will do anything... i'm afraid i won't be able to fix this, but i'm grateful for everyone's help and thank you all very much!!!

Antivirus will not clean this, its not a virus. Its adware/spyware.

ME does have DOS, but thats not the way to do it.

Download and run AdAware and SpyBot. They should take care of it. Post back with the success or otherwise.

principessa

the reason i had said i didn't know if a spyware program would help, is because i'd already run adaware... but, i will try the spybot... are all 3 of those just spyware? there is one other "virus" besides those two dll files (sorry, don't have the name on hand...)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online