Simple email problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DaisyFlyer

I cannot access organizational emails due to the error that states that my default email client isn't properly installed. I couldn't even use the one here!

The only email account I have is gmail and I don't have Outlook. However, I do have Windows Live Messenger even tho' I'm not sure why. I think I had to install it in order to do something with pictures or something.

I've changed my gmail settings, first, to imap, then, to pop. Neither work.

The system came with the Dell Inspiron One this past August and I was never able to access emails to places like my own city hall.

The only changes I've made was to later replace McAfee with Bitdefender.

The good folks over at the google forum haven't answered me, so, will you?

Operating system: Windows 7

Program and version you use to access Gmail: Not sure - I typically access through 'my favorites' or Google
The only search engines that I have is the 64 bit IE, Google toolbar for IE and Google Chrome.

Your antivirus software: Bitdefender 2012

Any extensions, toolbars or plug-ins: I only have the well-known essentials like adobe, quicktime, etc.. My google bar is plain with just the 'translate' and 'more' buttons.

DoubleHelix

Banned
What are "organizational emails"? If you use Gmail's web interface, then you're not using a client. It's a legitimate "error" that can't be fixed.

DaisyFlyer

An example of an 'organizational email' is a site that simply has a button in order to email them, but, no email is displayed near this button as an alternative. Say, if I have a question on trash pickup in my city, and click on their button, I get the above-mentioned error message. Even their webmaster has this.

Any suggestions? Should I use one of the free clients, and if I should, which one would you recommend?

DoubleHelix

Banned
If you want to use Gmail's web interface, you'll have to copy those links, open Gmail, and paste them into a new message manually. The mailto command, which is what those links invoke, calls on Windows to open an e-mail client. Since you're not using one, you get the error that one hasn't been configured.

I don't recommend using a client. Stick to the web interface.

Just use Chrome with the "Send from Gmail" extension and it will work.

DaisyFlyer

I'll respond in a couple of days because I have a couple of more questions. No time right now.

Thank you for your comments.

DaisyFlyer

Hi, fellas! I learned a lot. I have hotmail now because I thought that it COULD be a client and/or web interface.

I have Chrome, HughV, but it isn't obvious on the screen. I can't find the options for ''Send from". This makes sense.

Triple6, the notifier worked. The download did say that it would interfere with Google's toolbar, but, I haven't seen any problems.

Here's the thing with the notifier, guys: I tested it and I have to sign in each time I want to send an email, even if it is at the same site. Is this something that has to be lived with or would it be better with Chrome. And, if it is better, how can I find Chrome in the toolbars. It IS in my programs. I just can't see where it's displayed.

Thanks, again.

DaisyFlyer

Hiya!

Need a little more time to get back about the extension.

BTW, I just used duct tape last night to help with a door draft stopper. lol

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online