1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Excel Cell Display Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bsir, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsir

bsir Thread Starter

Hi, I've spent some time researching an answer to my problem but to little avail. I believe it is a relatively simple problem but I don't know much more than the basics on using excel, so I've come to this board for some help.

In any case, I have a single excel file with two data sheets in said file. I wish to use the second sheet to view text entries from cell in first sheet (which has around 75 unique sets of data with each with 40 different entries). On the second sheet I want to be able to enter the set of data I wish to view (1-75) and have the corresponding entries (1-40) fill themselves from that data set.

I thought I could have a cell in the second sheet for the data set number, and then use that cell to direct the other cells to display the correct data entry. I thought a formula such as this one would work for cell A2 of Data Sheet 2: ='Data Sheet 1'!A(2+('Data Sheet 2'!A1*40)) but now I realize that you cannot enter parenthesis within a cell name without destroying the function (I get a #NAME error).

So my question is, how does one display the text in a cell on another sheet based on the value in a cell on the same sheet?

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

You can try functions VLOOKUP and INDIRECT.
    E.g.
    =INDIRECT("'Data Sheet 1'!A" & (2+('Data Sheet 2'!A1*40)))

Jimmy

3. bsir

bsir Thread Starter

Found my answer, wanted to post it here in case anyone else wondered the answer:

=INDIRECT("'Data Sheet 1'!"&"a"&(2+'Data Sheet 2'!A1*40))

4. bsir

bsir Thread Starter

Thanks Jimmy! Just moments too late but I appreciate it all the same!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice