Simple home network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IrelandYaaaa

Hi there :D

Ive been tryin this last few days to set up a simple home network but i have got nowhere fast.

My plan was to link my two computers for gaming and sharing files, maybe share internet but I dont mind if thats not possible.

Anyways everytime I tried to set it up I lost my internet connection on my main computer, but anyway I will cut this long story short.....

Would buying a router be the better idea? Or could it be that im simply not using the right cable to connect my machines? I did use this same cable before with 2 older computers and managed to link them up, from memory its crossover cable, but how can you tell if thats what it is?

Also if I buy the router, what kinda cables do I need to link the 2 computers? just standard network cable?

Is it simple enough to set up a router?

Wish I knew more about networking, I dont have a clue :)

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
If you have a broadband internet connection I would suggest you buy a router and some network cables. Make sure your modem does have a RJ-45 jack on it. That just means it is a network jack.

IrelandYaaaa

Yeah its a crossover cable

Just noticed also, the connection status of my second machine says limited or no connectivity? That doesnt seem right?

If I unplug them then plug them in again, both machines status are : aquiring network address , then it will switch to limited or no connectivity?

IrelandYaaaa

Typical, everything was running well then I left my computers running for a few hours while I was out and by the time I got back my second machine has stopped working, there is power to the fans but nothing on the screen, I tested the screen on my main rig ands its pefect. Stripping session tomorrow, that computer has never gave me bother untill now.

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online