1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple IE question - simple answer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by katonca, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Hello all,
    This is truely a "no brainer" for most, but I'm baffled. Here's the deal.

I have Win XP (SP2) installed with IE 5.?

I've tried to install IE 6 in the past but was unable to because of difficulties at the microsoft update site.

My question is, what is the latest IE version that can be used with SP2 and could someone provide a link to the proper update page from microsoft? Thanks for the help (y)

Dave

2. Augie65

Augie65

How did you install IE 5 in windows xp? In IE, click Help> About Internet Explorer and on the window at the top it should say:
    Version: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325 this is the latest version IE6 which you should have with XP-SP2

3. redhat9

redhat9

Internet Explorer 5 with Windows XP SP2, even the first version of Windows XP came with Internet Explorer 6. Just like Augie said, how did you install Internet Explorer 5? And why?

4. HandleX

HandleX

thats so odd. never heard of this happening.

5. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. Augie, you are correct the "about IE" states that it is IE 6.

I guess I presumed the IE version to be prior to 5.5 because I have visited some websites that stated my browser version was outdated (prior to the 5.? needed to access their site).

Is there a reason why some sites would state this eventhough I have SP2 - IE6 installed?

Also, can anyone explain why my computer reboots when I click out of an IE window (say I have only one IE window open and I click out of it - the computer will reboot itself)? This happens 50% of the time. Rarelydoes this happen when I use Firefox.

6. Lance1

Lance1

There may be a problem with Windows and you have it set to restart automatically when Windows finds a problem. Hold down the Windows key and then hit the Pause Break key. This will bring up the System Properties window. Click Advanced and then the Startup and Recovery settings button. Uncheck the Automatically Restart check box. Click OK, Apply and then OK. Do what you were doing and see if you get a blue screen with a stop 0X00 number. Post that number just after the stop, you’ll see it.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:
  7. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Lance1,

I've unchecked the auto restart. I've exited IE a few times and the computer has not turned off - no blue screen.

Could this be from overheating and simply coincidence that it happens when exiting IE?

8. Lance1

Lance1

I don’t think so. If it were overheating it would happen no matter what you are running. It still sounds to me like a software problem. Keep an eye on it and post when it restarts again and if you can, post the stop error if possible.

9. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

I'll do that. (y)

Thanks

10. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

Lance, I exited IE and the computer turned off. On the blue screen the stop error is as follows:

0x0000000A

then following the number above, I also had these sets of numbers:

(0x80668E8F)
    (0x00000002)
    (0x00000000)
    (0x80668E8F)

Hope this makes sense. Thanks again for the help (y)

11. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

{{{bump}}}

12. Lance1

Lance1

13. katonca

katonca Thread Starter

I'll check it out (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice