1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple interactive Excel spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by freedomi, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freedomi

freedomi Thread Starter

I'm trying to create a simple interactive spreadsheet for a club that I run in a local school. We sell food at this club and, because children inevitably lose money throughout the day, their parents have sent us funds in advance. We are therefore looking at the simplest way of keeping track of the money that the children spend, using the touch screen of a chromebook to make a quick 'till register' - we could then press the children's name, hit what they bought, and the computer will tell us what they have left to spend.

I've managed to partially do this. I've created a spreadsheet with a list of the children's names and then '100' (representing their £1 budget) in the adjacent cell. I've then added a button (with a picture of what they are buying) so that when the '100' is clicked, and then the button is pressed, it removes a specific amount. This works brilliantly on the laptop that I've made it on but the laptop does not have a touch screen and so the process is a little slow.

The problem is that I don't know how to transfer this to our chromebooks which do have a touch screen. It seems like nothing supports macros and, even when I look for a website that I could do something like this on, I either get stuck on what to search for or eventually find that you can't make it interactive.

If anyone has any suggestions of either how to add the file online so that it's interactive - or how to start again using a specific website - then I would be extremely grateful. Thank you!

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi, welcome to forum.
    The first thing that comes to mind is that Excel does not run on a ChromeBook, that would be GoogleSheets and not all the vba is compatible
    I don't see why the process is slow on non-touch screens, attach a simple mouse.
    Have you tried it on the Chromebooks? To 'transfer' is just copy, save it on a USB stick and load it to each chromebook.

3. freedomi

freedomi Thread Starter

We have tried to transfer it over but unfortunately the buttons do not stay interactive... Does anyone know of another way, or a website, that would help us to achieve our goal?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice