1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple need but can Mac OSX and Win 2000 work together?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Byrne, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byrne

Byrne Thread Starter

Four computers networked through a Gigabit switch as follows:
    Systems 1, 2, and 3: G4's running Mac OS 10.2.6
    System 4: Compaq PC running Win 2000 Professional SP2

Only real need is for a shared folder (space) on sys 1 that can be seen by systems 2,3, and 4. Systems 2 and 3 need to copy folders containing as many as 1000 small files (adding up to about 3 GBt size) to System 1. Then system 4 wants to copy same folder to its local storage.

Can this be done with the native networking capabilities of Mac OSX and Win 2000 Professional or would the PC require special software like PC MacLan or other??

Any thoughts are appreciated...

2. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

You will need EtherTalk on your Mac clients and Services for Macintosh installed on the server. Encryted password authentication for Macs require the UAM model to be installed which I believe is automatic for Win2k but not older NT based servers. And being weak minded I can't remember if it is on the 2K workstation CD but is on the 2K server since I don't have 2K workstation other than XP which sets on the 2K base.

3. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

I just learned something I had not considered. If you have an old NT4 server and srvpk with all the bells and wistles running and run the XP pro upgrade it imports upgrades most of the extra services that are not available if you just run the XP pro install from scratch.
    XP pro also has a Mac access volume mapper called Macfile.exe that is run in a CMD (command) window which lets ypu have access to the Mac machine from XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice