1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by grandpaw7, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I now have two computers in my house. I want to connect them so that the one witout an attached printer can use the printer attached to the other one. Can someone direct me some simple instructions on how to do this? So far, everything I can find is about networking operations in much more complex situations, and I really can't understand much of what I read. Thanks, grandpaw7

2. jrbrown00

jrbrown00

3. Toddles18

Toddles18

Heres a tutorial that I did for my website.

With many household having multiple computers and networking materials plummeting in price it has become smart and economical to have a home LAN. The following will attempt to explain the basic's of creating a small network. First of all lets get some terminology out of the way.

NIC- Network Interface Card, Board that provides network communication capabilities to and from a computer system. Also called an adapter.

HUB- A hub is basically an extension of cable which crosses over the transmitting wires with the receive wires.

SWITCH- Same functions as a hub only can do basic addressing through MAC address.

ROUTER- Does all functions as a switch, but can address according to IP address and can be programmed.

Straight through cable- Cat 5 cable which has the same wiring pattern at both ends of the cable going into the RJ45 ends.

Crossover cable- Cat 5 cable which switches the transmit and receive wires at the cable ends.

Cat 5 cable. 4 twisted pairs of wires.

Ok, lets get down to business

First of all all of the computers you want to network together are going to need a NIC installed, If you do not already have one installed you can purchase a PCI or USB ethernet adapter, Both of which have there Pro's and Con's.

PCI- Connects internally through a PCI slot. You have to take computer apart to install.

USB- Universal Serial Bus Plugs into USB ports usually located on the back of your computer. Could cause problems in the future if you buy additional devices that connect through USB.

Next, cabling and devices depend upon how many computers you want to have networked together. If you are only networking two computers together you will only need a crossover cable. If you are networking more then two computers together you will need straight through cable, and a hub, switch or router, depending upon how much money you are willing to spend. I recommend going with a 10/100 switch, as most people really don't need a router, although a hub will still work fine if you're trying to do this cheep.

Time to configure the computers

These instructions are for Windows 95/98 with XP instructions coming soon.

Step 1

On your desktop right click on N.N. (Network Neighborhood) then click properties. A window will pop up showing you your installed protocol's and adapters. First of all lets get identified, if you're not already. Click the Identification tab and then type in data relevant to the computer you are on. This is the name that will show up in N.N. after we get all done. Very important, whatever name you choose for workgroup you must use the same name on all the computers you wish to connect to this network.

Step 2

Now, click the configuration tab to get back to where we started. Search through the list for your Ethernet adapter's name, followed by TCP/IP. One note, if you do not have any other adapters installed besides your Ethernet adapter then it will only say TCP/IP. If TCP/IP is not there for you to select then click add, protocol, Microsoft, TCP/IP, and then click ok, it will take you back to where you selected protocol, just click cancel. Now you should see TCP/IP listed. Select TCP/IP and then click properties. Check the box that says specify an IP address. Next type in your IP address, I recommend using 192.168.x.x because these are address's that will never appear on the internet and were reserved for the purpose of creating small LAN's. In the subnet mask box type 255.255.255.0. click ok, that's it for there.

Step 3

If you want to share files or printers, (isn't that the point of doing this beside playing quake???) click the file and printer sharing button and select which features you wish to use. Last thing to do here is to click the primary network logon menu and select client for Microsoft Networks. If it is not there then click, add, client, Microsoft, Client for Microsoft networks and click ok, click cancel at the next window. Now this computer is almost finished.

Step 4

Click OK, the computer will do it's little song and dance and may ask for your Windows CD. Once this is finished it should prompt you to restart, if not then just do it manually. The computer will startup and there will be a little window that will pop up that will say logon to microsoft network, type in anything you feel like, and click ok, since you don't have a server it won't make a difference.

Step 5

If you enabled file and print sharing continue reading, if not, repeat steps 1-4 on the other machines you wish to network together. If you did enable file sharing you need to decide which file you want to share, for my home LAN I enable full sharing of the entire C:, you may only want to share a single folder, just remember if you share a folder, all folders inside of that folder are also shared. To share your folder right click on the folder you wish to share, and select sharing, here you can also select your permissions you wish to impose upon users accessing your folder. To share printer open my computer, printers, right click on your printers icon, select sharing. Once you get your other computer(s) set up go to my computer, printers, add printer, click network printer. Select the printer you set to share, click ok, the computer will load the drivers from the machine the printer is connected to. That's it you should be good to go.

4. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. While I've decided not to use it just now, I'm saving it for future reference. grandpaw7

5. buf

buf

Todd:
    Thanks for your time and shared knowledge in creating the tutorial for all to use. I think you did a great job with it.:D
    Also an interesting web page and wish you success in all of your schooling to become what you want to be. Rewards will come!!

6. jonachan

jonachan

Hello,

Thank you for all your help but I'm afraid I still have some questions networking my 2 macs. I set up a router which is hooked up to my G4 and hooked it up to a Powermac 8500. I'm able to access the internet sharing my cable modem...no problem but I can't print from the 8500. I installed the printer software. I turned Appletalk on both machines. I set the 8500 so that the TCP/IP is set to Ethernet. But the ethernet zone does not appear under appletalk and it does not appear in the Chooser when I select the appropriate printer...I only get a choice for printer port and modem port. What can I do to send a file from my 8500 to print to my EPSON 1270 which is hooked up to a USB port on my G4.

Thank you

7. FusionSlayer

FusionSlayer

Mac...I cannot help you...and I think you lost your topic...or maybe not.

8. jonachan

jonachan

Thanks anyway.

If it is unclear my topic is networking 2 macs via a router. Cable modem is being shared but I still have a problem accessing the printer from the other computer.

Anyone know about macs?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Macs? Like the Big Mac? :D Sorry, don't know about the Apple kind of Macs...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice