1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Photo Album With User Control

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by HelmerTech, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelmerTech

HelmerTech Thread Starter

Hello I'm new to the forum : )

I need help with a website issue.

Server running Windows server 2005, server is on location. Website page would need these features: Simple name and password. Client inputs their name and password. This would be a simple page on the website, for example: www.mywebsite.com/client-login.html . When the client inputs their name and password, they press enter or click the enter button. Then another simple page comes up. It lists picture thumbnails. Click on a thumbnail and the full size image comes up. That's the whole thing. Some rules that would need to be followed are: Someone can't send a link to a picture to someone and they just see the picture. The person that was sent the link would have to login first with the name and password and then get access to the directory the picture is in, and ultimately the picture.

The main thing is user control. When the user logs in they only see the directory that they are given permission to see, they can't see other project pictures, and ppl can't see ANY project without logging in first.

So my question is how do I even start this? Does windows server have a simple way for a web page to send it log in information that would then give the user access to their directory? Is there a php script that would take care of the whole thing? It doesn't need to be super secure, I just want to keep other projects private.

This problem might be soooo simple, that I can't see the solution right now. If anyone has a suggestion, or knows a direction to go, it would be really appreciated!

btw, I picked this forum because I like some of the answers everyone was getting/giving. There are a lot of smart ppl here. : )

2. James-

James-

You didn't specify how the pictures are added (just you, or anyone can upload?) and how the thumbnails should be generated. But there are a few ways you go about doing it

1) I'm sure there are some pre-made php/mysql scripts that support what you're talking about, even if they may be bloated with a lot more features. Searching for 'php gallery' might give you some success. But I mean, even something like phpBB forum software could be configured to do what you're talking about, even if it would also include 100 unnecessary features.

2) A more manual solution would be to make physical directories on your disk for each project, and use Apache's htpasswd to make logins for each

3) It wouldn't be too hard to code from scratch in php/mysql. If you don't have any experience maybe not, but if you do:

* Mysql tables to store users and projects
    * Sessions to control the user logins
    * The raw images stored in an inaccessible location (e.g. outside public_html)
    * A php page to control delivery of the images (checks the session and if it's ok, uses readfile to deliver the image from it's hidden location
    * Some kind of thumbnailer class to make thumbs of all your photos automatically

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice