1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple PSU Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kobel, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kobel

kobel Thread Starter

Can a power supply unit from a p4/athlonXP system be used on a P3 system?

How about vice-versa, can I use a PSU from a P3 on a P4/athlon xp system?

Somebody gave me a bare case with a power supply in it that was used for a AMD athlon xp 2500. I have a P3 motherboard and cpu that I'd like to install into this case but I'm not sure if I can use the power supply..should I get a new PSU?

Thanks...

2. cavtek

cavtek

kobel, you should try and get a schematic from the psu manufacteror of each unit that tells you the voltages of the individual color coded wires and compare them. my understanding is all computer brands are not neccessarily wired the same.

3. cavtek

cavtek

the psu s may have the schematic in one form or another printed on them.

4. saikee

saikee

I have never been able to afford a Pentium board and couldn't tell. However if the plugs fits then I am quite confident that it will work. I always ending up have with a few spare plugs on every PSU on the Athlon mobo and am quite sure they are for Pentium mobo. Never heard of a devoted PSU for Pentium or Althlon even if it exists.

Also I have bought a few casings with in-box PSU before and nobody even mentioned they are for one type of mobo only.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/261525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice