1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Question- Making Transparant Images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Sana, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sana

Sana Thread Starter

How do you make transparant images (png, gif, ect)
    with a program?
    I have a bunch of photo editing programs but they don't seem to have that option. Is there an easy way to do it?

2. hewee

hewee

You have to remove the background to make it Transparant but then you have to save it as a .gif.
    Now some programs your need to move the image to a new Transparant background first.
    What image programs do you have?

3. Sana

Sana Thread Starter

Okay.. well the programs I have are:

adobe photoshop trial version
    microsoft paint
    Arcsoft photoimpression 5
    canon photorecord and publishing suite
    IMSI(turbodraw)
    MGI Photosuite II SE
    Photostudio 2000
    OcB71 (oekaki thing)

I would just delete the background, save as gif and it should become transparant?

4. hewee

hewee

adobe photoshop will let you erase the background real easy with the erase tool.
    Arcsoft photoimpression 5 or the 4 I have let you edit out the background. Open the image and then click the edit button. Click the magic tool. You can hold down the shift key and pick use the tool again to get more if it did not pick all that you wanted to remove the first time. Then you can copy it to a new layer ot click on invert and then crop.
    I don't have the other programs so can't help.

5. Sana

Sana Thread Starter

Thanks hewee I'll try to follow that
    you've been a big help :) (y)

6. hewee

hewee

7. Sana

Sana Thread Starter

hmm.. okay hewee ^^; I've been having a really hard time with this.
    I did download a tutorial and I checked the arcsoft site for support but I can't find anything. I delete the background of my picture, and then I save it as a png- I was told that those support transparant backgrounds, but then when I load it to photobucket and use it for another web page, the transparant parts..well, aren't....

any tips?.. did I miss something? I've tried saving it in various ways, switching to other programs and deleting the background numerous times..

8. Sana

Sana Thread Starter

(this is about photoimpression 5- since I only have a trial of adobe, I can't save anything with it_)

9. hewee

hewee

Well you have photoshop that will work better. Also in photoimpression 5 if it has it's own image format then maybe that will help.
    Now also your right in that a .png, tiff can have a transparant backgrounds.
    If I used PhotoImpact and open a png or tiff I know has transparant background I can see a white background. But if I open a new transparant background I can then drag the image over to it and I will have a transparant background. Another way in PhotoImpact is you have to open a image in another was. I have to go to the menu bar and pick object, insert image object. It then loads the image without the background.
    I think even in MS Paint you can do things like that but you don't use the paste but the "paste from".
    So look to see if you have other ways to add or paste the image.

10. hewee

hewee

Also not sure if web sites or IE, netscape, firefox even supports png with a transparant background.

I know I have uploaded .png with a transparant background here and have had people say they see a white background. Also forgot that in saving a .png in PhotoImpact there is a option button that you have in saving all images and if you want to save a .png with a transparant background you have to check the box.

Now if this is true then you can make your image and save them with the same color background as the web site page. Can be easy if you have a plain color but if the background has effect, texture etc then it will not match up just right.

Here is a .png with a transparant background.

I just downloaded the image posted here and it still has a transparant background.

Attached Files:

11. buck52

buck52 Banned

Here it is saved as a gif...

guess png does not show the background as transparent...atleast here at TSG

Attached Files:

12. hewee

hewee

Well but it has to because I downloaded the .png posted above and it does not have a background.
    Plus looking at it here at TSG it looks like it has a transparant background to me.
    I just took a screen shot of the page here and used the eye dropper on it and in has no background and the color is Hex #EEEEEE.

13. hewee

hewee

OK I opened IE and came here and see IE shows a background. So IE does not support the image but netscape 7 does and it shows up right like I said and the format is not chaned by TSG but by IE.

14. buck52

buck52 Banned

Another reason for all you "other" browser users to bash IE... ;)

buck

15. hewee

hewee

Hey you bet buck. :D

But maybe you can add the mime to IE.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice