1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple question, not so simple answer, reformat C Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Raderick, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raderick

Raderick Thread Starter

I've been looking all around the internet for 2 months for my answer, yet I haven't been able to do this. It seems simple to me. Why can't I find an answer for this question...

How do you re-format the C drive?

It seems at least simple to me. That's all I want to so. I have two paritions, C and D. C is my system partition, and install Windows XP Pro on it. That's all. In XP setup, it will not let me format it, so to me in theory, I'm at a dead end. So I've installed XP on the C drive three times, all in the same folder, and now it has taken up 10 GB (why?) of space when it only should take no more than 4.

2. jmwills

jmwills

3. Raderick

Raderick Thread Starter

4. jmwills

jmwills

Read the threads!!!!! You will clearly see that the optical drive must be made the first boot device within the BIOS settings.

5. Raderick

Raderick Thread Starter

I am pressing delete when the computer is booting but it is still booting to the Windows XP.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Pressing delete is not ALWAYS the key / trick to getting into the bios. Sometimes, F2, sometimes F12; sometimes a different key.

Check with the computer manufacturer or the motherboard manual or motherboard manufacturer.

At boot, some manufacturers [ computer and motherboard ] display advertising. This is called a "splash screen". This splash screen sometimes obscures the information as to which key you need to press.

You can pause the boot process by pressing, usually, the "pause break" key, usually to the right of the F12 key.

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

You could also format the C: by removing the HDD [ hard disk drive ] from the computer, connect it to another computer, internally using a device such as this,
    http://www.kingwin.com/mobileracks.asp

or externally using a device such as this.
    http://www.kingwin.com/enclosures.asp

Then, right click on "my computer". Left click "manage".
    Maximize the screen.
    Left click "disk management".
    In the lower area, right side, right click on what had been the C:. It will have a different drive letter now. Left click "format".

Sincerely,
    RF123

8. BlueBoy208

BlueBoy208

Lol, the most easy way is go on My Computer, Right click C drive and click properties then click Disk Cleanup and your done :)
    Only C Drive will be formatted

9. Raderick

Raderick Thread Starter

F12 did the trick. Everything seems to have gone very well. Thanks guys!

10. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Blue, the above information is quite incorrect.
    All diskcleanup will do is, after it has asked you, clean temp internet files etc, IT WILL NOT FORMAT YOUR MAIN HARD DISK DRIVE.
    A hard drive containing the system files cannot be formatted whilst it is active or online so to speak.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

Glad to have helped.

RF123

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice