1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Question on arranging columns in MS Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fudgeydodgey, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fudgeydodgey

fudgeydodgey Thread Starter

Hi

I'm doing a list of words and their meanings in MS Excel 2003. The columns look like this:

| W | D | 2 | S |
    | b | 1 | 1 | 1 |
    | c | 2 | 2 | 2 |
    | a | 3 | 3 | 3 |

What i'm planning to do is to arrange the Word column [W] alphabetically but in such a way as the entries in the other 3 columns (Def 1[D], Def 2 [2], Source ) will follow the word next to them. Like this:

| W | D | 2 | S |
    | a | 3 | 3 | 3 |
    | b | 1 | 1 | 1 |
    | c | 2 | 2 | 2 |

What i'm afraid of is that if i arrange the Word column, the other columns wouldn't follow

| W | D | 2 | S |
    | a | 1 | 1 | 1 |
    | b | 2 | 2 | 2 |
    | c | 3 | 3 | 3 |

Note: sorry if this question has been asked. tried searching the forum but was unable to find a similar question to mine

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi fudgeydodgey, and welcome to TSG.

First make a backup copy of the Excel file as it is.

Select all four columns and then choose the Data Sort menu option. If the first row is column headers, then activate the radio button for that in the sort dialog box. Then choose to sort on the column that has the words. The data in the same row as the given word will follow along in the sort.

Note: If you only select one column and then try to sort, Excel will usually pop up a warning that data has been found in adjacent columns that will not follow the information in the selected column. You will then have the option to have Excel automatically expand the selection to include all adjacent columns with data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice