1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Question(s)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by puterdoc, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puterdoc

puterdoc Thread Starter

Have you ever had something that should be so easy to do. But, for some reason you have a complete brain freeze and the easy thing turns into a mind blowing experience??? I have reached that crossroad!!!!

I have read through some posts below concerning networking two computers. Just in case I might have missed something easy...but it did not help..

Win XP Home to Win 2000 Professional
    AOL Broadband connection(cable)
    Linksys 4 port router

Keep in mind that at one time this all worked great!!! I was able to browse both internet and files from either computer. Then one of their children got on one of PCs and screwed everything up...here are the symptoms...

Computer A is the XP machine
    Computer B is the 2000 machine..

A browses the internet with no problems. The PC is shared out so that computer B can access any files located on computer A. Both of these PCs are a member of "WORKGROUP".....we obtain IPs automatically(of course)..

Now the odd things...Computer B cannot browse out to the internet nor can it see computer A. But, it can see the router. As stated,computer A can browse the internet...but cannot see the router(confused yet??? I sure am).

As many networks as I have set up, I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. If I had this setup working before...why in the world can I not get it back the way it was??? I'm going out of my mind!!!

If anyone needs more information please let me know....

Thanks,
    Ty

2. saikee

saikee

If you have a machine able to talk to the router why not interrogate the router about the IP addresses it is operating?

I agree the situation is very odd because normally once a machine establishes a communication with the router then the Internet connection is made.

You may need to check the network configuration again and if necessary re-configure it.

3. puterdoc

puterdoc Thread Starter

One would think if we could establish that router connection then we should be able to browse to the other PC and to the internet. I just cannot for the life of me understand what is happening...

On the computer that can see the router BUT not see anything else. I have hosed the TCP/IP and reinstalled it. I have released the IP address and then renewed it. I've unplugged everything and then plugged it all back up(that was a last gasp effort).

At one time I was going to rip the NIC card out. But that would have made no sense, it has to be working because it can see the router.

I'm at the end of my rope with this thing.

Thanks,
    Ty

4. saikee

saikee

Have you install a firewall recently? A firewall on the main machine can deny network access by other computers. At least that happened to me once and another member of the forum. Disabling the firewall got us back the orginal condition.

I don't know if you are using Internet sharing facility or just a direct connection to router. Does the second machine depend on the first one to power on first in order to get to the Internet?

5. puterdoc

puterdoc Thread Starter

No firewall...and both machines connect to the router for both internet and sharing. The second machine does not depend on the first to be powered up so that it can use the internet.

As I said in the first post...how in the world can computer A, browse out to the internet but cannot see the router?? But computer B, can see the router but is basically blind to everything else. Like the old songs says..."Things that make you go...hmmmm".

I think I will just rip the NIC card out of computer, B....and just start over from the beginning. That is my last resort before I go insane...

Thanks,
    Ty

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/239028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice