1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cway, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cway

cway Thread Starter

:confused: Before I installed the MS SP2...Intervideo WinDVD was (i guess) my Default Media Player!! But, after I installed MS SP2 a prompt from MS came up asking me if i wanted 'Wind.Media Player' to be my Media Player and I clicked yes!!
    Can I change it back to WinDVD?? And, if so, how?? :confused:
    Thx!!!

2. demi4200

demi4200

umm someone correct me if im wrong but i belive there will be some type of option for that in windvd's options. i know thats how winamp works.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Associate the files back to WinDVD. I'm sure WinDVD has that option in its preferences. Look for File Types and associate all the files to WinDVD.

Also a note is that I have found a few files with WIND in it that seems to be spyware. Did the Wind.Player came from Microsoft?

4. cway

cway Thread Starter

Thx for yur prompt response Tidus!!
    Not sure how to "Associate Files back to WinDVD"!! Although, going to 'Setup' then 'Preferences'...i'm given the option under "Source Configuration" to select (DEFAULT) or (D:).
    I would assume DEFAULT is the one it should be on...which it IS!!
    This is what i'm trying to do: Whenever I wanna see a clip of some sort, it used to automatically DEFAULT to the WinDVD (BEFORE I INSTALLED "MS SP2". Shortly after I instaled it, a prompt came up asking me about making Win.Media Player my Media Player (something like that). Anyway, I choose YES!! Now whenever I wanna see a clip it automatically DEFAULTS to Win>Media Player. I want it to DEFAULT to WinDVD!!

5. demi4200

demi4200

you're on the right track cway keep looking for you're option.

6. cway

cway Thread Starter

Ooops...Yes i'm pretty sure the Win.Media Player came from MS!!
    (Sry...still a novice when it comes to computers!!)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You mean Windows Media Player? If so then that's the standard player for Windows.

As for the extensions, go to My Computer, then on the top go to Tools > Folder Options. Under the File Type Tab (as shown in the attachment, the example I have is AVI) go to AVI and then click on Change... Then select WinDVD. If it's not listed, click browse and then search for the .EXE file for WinDVD. Press OK and press APPLY. Repeat for MPEG and MPG. If there are other extensions that WinDVD supports that you also use, then change those. I would recommend to leave WMV to Windows Media Player.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice