1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geoffswann, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geoffswann

geoffswann Thread Starter

My hard drive does not show in bios although it is spinning up ok but there is a problem with the read write heads just clicking and not initalising.
    My question is this,,,, will SPINRITE 6, the hard drive recovery software, be able to help me even though my drive does not show in the bios...

Thanks Geoff

2. kitch69

kitch69

If its not showing up in the bios I doubt that software will help but you don't get anywhere without trying. :cool:

3. submrineguy

submrineguy

Are you tring to get it to work permantly or just long enough to get the data off? If you just want the data put it in a ziploc and freeze it. wrap it in a paper towel to kep condensate off and bring it up. I has worked in the past for me about half and half. It's not likely it will ever be a reliable hard drive again regardless of what you do.

4. geoffswann

Thanks guys,

I did try the freeze trick but still no go.
    I only need to be able to get the data off,, there must be a way :)

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you don't have any luck, I'm not sure how important the data is but if it's very important, there are local repair shops in most cities that specialize in recovering data.

6. geoffswann

Thanks for all your help so far but I am still trying and I aint gonna give up without a fight. I just need to be pointed in the right direction I.E. is the most likely cause the controller board or the read write head. at the moment it seems to be 50/50 on answers.

Thanks Geoff

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Any "absolute" answer given to you would be only a guess.

If you could get your hands on another hard rive that 100% identical you could swap circuit boards. If it stills does the same thing then it's the mechanics of the drive that are shot. If it does something else but still does work then its both, if it works then great you're done.

As mentioned there are companies that specialize in data recovery, but they are not cheap, expect to pay at least a few hundred dollars to possibly over a thousand dollars.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice