1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

simple question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ken vincent, Sep 26, 2001.

?

Should you turn a pc on and off all the time or just leave it on?Witch is better?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2001.
  1. If you use it everyday.

1 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. If you use it everyother day.

3 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. leave it on is better

4 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Turning it on and off all the time is better.

1 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ken vincent

ken vincent Thread Starter

I was just wondering witch is better for my system,always turning it off,or always leaving it on .I have heard alot of people some turn it off ,some leave it on?But nobody has told me witch is better for the life of a computer.PLEASE if you know, let me know, thank you!

2. Kento

Kento

Nobody knows the true answer to that question but everyone has their opinions. Mine is to shut it off unless you're only going to be away from it for awhile. In that case leave it on. And never leave it on when sleeping or away from the house. People do and that's foolish in my opinion. If it overheats sufficiently it can catch on fire. Someone i know had that happen to them.

3. Paul D

Paul D

If you don't reboot regularly, you don't get the automatic Registry backups.

4. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I agree that it should be turned off unless only away for a short while. Storms, power problems come to mind right off. Dont forget also that many programs do not like to release all of the resources that they have. Powering off will make them and combined with good maintainance, will keep you running good.

5. rogers55

rogers55

Ken,

I have always been of the opinion that electronic equipment likes to be kept on and at a stable temperature for a long life.
    So I keep mine on all day and turn it off last thing at night because "something" could happen while it is unattended.

BUT, at work we turn all workstations off at night and leave key computers like servers and the shipping computer, that has to call its mother ship, on.
    In 8 years at this job I have not experienced any problems or seen any difference between left on or left off.

Maybe I think about these things too much.

Regards,
    Roger

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/54182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice