1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple questions about XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Puritan, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

I feel silly asking such simple, newbie-esque questions... on the other hand, Microsoft has designed XP's defaults specifically for newbies so much it takes a while to remove all of the "user-friendly" idiotproofing they put in... anyway...

Does anyone know how, in IE, to get the links to appear in their own toolbar, rather than just a drop-down menu off to the right of the address? I can't click on it and drag it like I can in something like Office, and I don't see a menu option for it in Customize or anything like that. The whole point of my quick links was so that I could click them like buttons; if I need to open a drop-down menu, I would just stick them in my regular bookmarks. Does anyone know how to do this?

Also, in 98, I put My Computer in my Start Menu, since I like to be able to just open up the start menu and open a My Computer window from there. In XP, however, if I try to put a My Computer shortcut into the Start Menu, when I click on it, it spools out showing its contents like any other Start Menu folder, rather than opening up a new My Computer window. Is there a way that I can put a My Computer shortcut in the Start Menu that doesn't expand but that actually forces open a separate new My Computer window? (I guess I could put a Windows Explorer shortcut or something in there instead, but that's not really how I like it...)

2. gerbilster

gerbilster

right click on toolbar, uncheck "lock toolbar" then drag the links button under your address bar, or wherever you wish it to be. The links menu will now expand. Then right click again and re-check "lock toolbar"

3. RonK

RonK

In Properties of the StartMenu, Set each one you want to Display as a Link.
    I think this is what you are trying to do. I have my Control Panel set to that and it opens in a seperate window.

4. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

Thanks for the toolbar help.

For the Start Menu, I don't see in the Start Menu properties where I can tell it to display My Computer as a link or not a link. The shortcut itself has virtually nothing in its properties (just its name, basically). Oh yeah, I turned off the XP menu and went back to the classic 98 start menu, and I turned off the personalized option (i.e. hiding your unused programs), if that makes a difference. I just put a My Computer shortcut at the top of my Start Menu (above the Windows Update) and I'm not sure how to stop it from expanding.

5. ronningfamily

ronningfamily

:)

Simple go to View. Select Toolbar and select Links. This will take away the check mark if it is checked or place a check mark if one is not there.

The no check mark will tell the toolbar not have the links bar on Internet Explorer.

Mark

6. gerbilster

gerbilster

LOL, even easier then my way. Goes to show ya, you learn something new everyday!!

7. ronningfamily

ronningfamily

I consider myself an advanced Windows user, but the thing that is driving me crazy about XP are all the CD-RW issues. I am finding them on support site all over the place.

For example,

Easy CD Creator update, have followed that upgrade perfect to the hilt. The software kill my built in CD burning functions of Windows XP, which would be fine, but I liked my new Windows Media Player burning functions.

Nero does the same but it recognized my new TDK where EAsy CD Platinum did not have a clue. But Nero also kills my built in burn features. Roxio actually wrote the burn software for XxP

I believe there are some CD-RW issues with XP. Have not got this problem fixed yet.

Thanks Mark Ronning

8. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

More XP IE silliness...

XP IE keeps turning off my status bar for some reason. I keep going to view and turning the status bar back on, and then undoubtably later, after I opened some new IE windows and/or closed IE and reopened it later, I find that my status bar is gone again. What's up with that?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice