1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple RAM question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tchaser1977, Apr 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tchaser1977

tchaser1977 Thread Starter

Hey computer geniuses. I am not a very tech-savvy guy, but i'm attempting to upgrade the RAM in a cheap laptop that i bought. Apparently there are different types (yes i know now, please dont laugh). My computer is an older Dell Latitude E5550. Currently have 2gb, wanting to go to 8gb if possible. I ordered some that said it would fit by model number, but the "slot" in the card is located in a different spot. Now i know my RAM is DDR2, PC2-5300, 667MHz.

How do i determine the rest of description to order correct RAM? My goal is just a faster computer, but don't need anything crazy, just not snail-speed processing. Pic is current RAM.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your image, your "Dell Latitude E5550" laptop has 2 GB(1 GB X 2) of DDR2-667(PC2-5300) RAM which has a memory timing of 5-5-5-12.

Are you sure about the model name and model number of your laptop?
    What is the exact 7-character service tag/serial number on it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. tchaser1977

This is all the info i can find, other than it says DELL LATITUDE E5500 SERIES on startup.

Attached Files:

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

According to those numbers, you have THIS Dell Latitude E5550 15.4" laptop.
    It originally came with Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit with an upgrade license for Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit.

According to its system configuration section, it originally came with this hardware:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.00 GHz dual core processor
    2 GB(1 GB X 2) of DDR2-800 RAM
    80 GB SATA hard drive
    DVD+/-RW SATA disc drive
    Dell Wireless 1510

Capture2.JPG

According to this C-O-A sticker, that Dell Latitude E5550 laptop has been refurbished with Windows 8.1 64-bit.
    According to your image in post #1, it appears its original DDR2-800 modules have been replaced with slower DDR2-667 modules.

Please do the following in that laptop so we can obtain more information about it:
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your laptop will appear.
    Return here, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

THIS 4 GB(2 GB X 2) DDR2-800 memory kit should work okay in that laptop.
    As weak as its processor is, a more expensive 8 GB(4 GB X 2) memory kit would be a waste of money.

5. tchaser1977

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 979 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
    Hard Drives: C: 106 GB (73 GB Free); D: 3 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0DW634
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

6. tchaser1977

I also see it says only 979Mb of RAM installed, but there are 2 inserted, 1Gb each...is one bad, and how do i find out if its the RAM or the slot in computer that's bad?

UPDATE: I re-inserted RAM after blowing the area out with compressed air, and now i'm getting both showing (2003 mb)...so, since the RAM upgrade to more than 4gb wouldn't increase the speed because of limitations of my cheapie laptop, is there any other cost-effective ways to speed it up? Already cleared every file and program that is un-used or un-needed. Literally just want to run internet, youtube, save a few files for reference, and run one large program (hptuners) for vehicle custom tuning and diagnosing. This will be my "shop computer" and stay in the garage for helping me to work on my cars.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I was going to say that laptop is detecting only 1 GB of RAM, but you found the problem and now have it detecting 2 GB of RAM. (y)

It was refurbished with Windows 8.1 64-bit, but has since been upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    It was designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista, so I'm surprised all of its primary devices(graphic, audio, ethernet, wireless) are working in Windows 10.

Windows 10 contains 40+ "bloatware" apps, so that laptop is going to struggle to run it.
    You should go into the Settings section of Windows 10 and remove/uninstall all the ones you don't need.

It's too bad you didn't come here and ask for advice before buying that laptop.
    We probably could've directed you to some newer and faster models that don't cost much more than what you paid for that one.

8. tchaser1977

I have gone through and deleted tons of apps/programs that i wouldnt need for purpose of this laptop. Finished install of all updates. Went ahead and did a disk defragmentation on it. I really didnt even shop for a laptop, it was a facebook marketplace find in a trade, invested 20$

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The 4 GB(2 GB X 2) DDR2-800 memory kit that I linked you to in post #4 is $20.99 plus shipping.
    Considering you paid only $20.00 for that refurbished laptop, that's the only investment I would put into it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. tchaser1977

Thanks so much for your help...greatly appreciated!

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice