1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple Server

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lola2001, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Is anyone familiar with the program Simple Server? I just need some help gettting it running. I've followed the incredibly simple instructions but it still won't work. I need it to transfer some files from work to home so if anyone else knows of another program that does that (or help me make this one work) it would be much appreciated.

2. Rockn

Rockn

There are more than likely ports that need to be opened on the host side to allow the file transfer. I believe this is only a web server not an FTP server.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I had it running last year and had no problems transferring files. Yes, just a web server but I made a webpage with downloadable files. Used to work but I haven't used it in so long. I didn't do anything to any ports at all. Just followed the instructions. OH well.

4. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

5. jdl

jdl

How would you like to sit at your home computer and work on your office computer free? No transfer of files required...but you could do that too!

Go to LogMeIn and create an account...FREE. You will then be able to install a very small program on your work computer that will allow you to connect to it from home and run it exactly as if you were sitting in front of it.

You will read that file transfers are not possible in the FREE version...BUT...

From your home computer, when connected to your office computer, you can use the office email system to email yourself at home and attach the files you wish to have at home.

Works through firewalls, etc. A nice little program if you occassionally need to connect to your office computer from home.

6. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

That sounds interesting. I'll keep it in mind but I need to be able to transfer quite large files. Larger then email will accept. Thanks though.

7. jdl

jdl

Another option if nobody comes up with a better one. Use WinRar or to compress and break down the files into files that email will accept and transfer them in smaller pieces to be reasembled on your home computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!