1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

simple sorting for Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kokaik, Aug 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kokaik

kokaik Thread Starter

Dear all...
    One simple and quick question, I have Excel 97 SR

All I need is to sort, but everytime need to select the range before I am able to sort. Can I pre-sort so that everytime I chooses sort, the entire range will be selected.

Pls enlighten me.

2. Gram123

Gram123

You could do it in a macro.
    If there are just blank cells below the data, go to Tools, Macro, Record New Macro. Give the macro a name and assign a Ctrl key if required.
    Then select the data range. If the data range may increase and decrease on later sorts, make sure you select plenty of blank cells below the data (blank cells are not included in the sort), or better yet, just select the whole columns.
    then go to Data, Sort as normal.
    Stop the macro. You can then use your control key to select and sort, or you can assign it to a button and add it to one of your toolbars.

HTH

Gram

3. kokaik

kokaik Thread Starter

Thanks Gram

Yup, using macro is great. But I have an excel templete that has been created by a much earlier user and what it does is everytime I goto sort, the pre-selected range will be highlighted. All I need is to select sort by which column or row.

By using macro, I can only get when I have recorded earlier eg sort by column A, but if I need to sort by column B, I need to rerecord another macro name.

Any idea? Thanks:confused:

4. Gram123

Gram123

Well, you could record the macro so it stops early - at the stage where you choose the "Sort By" column. But if you do that, the macro becomes pretty pointless, because it's only saving you a couple of mouse clicks.
    You could almost as easily select the columns (A, B etc instead of the precise data range), then go Data, Sort, Sort By.

Personally, rather than have 2 or more macros that each sort by different columns, or a macro that is only used to select data and then take you to a menu, I'd do it manually.

Unless I've missed the point...

Gram

5. kokaik

kokaik Thread Starter

Thanks fr the great advise.

Have a good day.;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/51930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice