1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simple way to make old computer pick up wireless signal in house

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hotskates, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I have moved my old computer to the back of the house and was wondering how easy and cheap it would be to add wireless to it. I have a cisco valet for my router and a modem in another room. My laptop picks up the wireless and now I want to add wireless to the old dell. I found this belkin product and wondered if it would do the trick?

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

That's a wireless N adapter and not a wireless B/G adapter. Does your home network support wireless N?

--------------------------------------------------------------

What's the model name and model number of that old Dell, and what version of Windows does it have?

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Cisco Valet supports g and n, so I guess yes on the first question. Is there a way to be sure which one I'm running?

Its a Dell Dimension 2400 .....windows xp.

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

According to its system requirements, it supports Windows XP - as long as it has SP3.

I'm not an expert on a wireless network setup, so I'll leave you with TerryNet and etaf and the other experts here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I'm sure it has SP3......Hopefully TerryNet or etaf see this thread and give their opinion. Thanks flavallee :)

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

That adapter may or may not do the job for you. The main thing to consider, other than to make sure your Operating System is supported, is the path from the router to the antenna. If you get a USB adapter it's better to get one with a short USB extension cable (example) so that the adapter can be in a better position (maybe on top the desktop) or one with an external antenna (example).

8. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I just showed the belkin product as an example of a simple solution. I don't care which brand I use, I just want to get something that will work. I was hoping there would be a simple plug in device that would work. Sounds like I need to do a little research on how everything will work in sinc. before I buy anything.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I'm not advocating for or against any brand.

10. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

TerryNet.....the product you showed as example would work though for my situation, right? I'm guessing it plugs into the pc via usb?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I expect that both products that I showed as examples will work for you. But, we can't know for sure until you try. They both connect by USB.

12. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

oops, I couldn't get the example of the Belkin to open, and now it opened. That one is only $16.00. Thanks. I'll let you know how it all works out.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999028