1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

simple wireless internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mikesa, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

My son is moving int a college apartment that will have a PC conneceted to Cable Broadband. Wiring is out of the question. Will a wireless card in the PC and a wireless card in his laptop, allow him to share Internet using ICS on the desktop. Sounds simple and not too secure but for basic email retreival and sporadic internet searches, will this work? My limited experience with networks is having five computers utilizing ICS over an HPNA (phoneline) network in my house (simple and cheap). Sorry if this quetion is pretty
    simple and obvious, but I'm new to the forum and wireless.

Mike

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You'd be much better served with a broadband wireless router, then you don't need to have the host computer on to access the network.

3. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

Does that mean I would install the router after the cable modem and then the PC and Laptop would have wireless adapters to "talk" to the wireless router? This being the case, would I need the router available when the Broaband is installed (in a day or so). Don't they link the cable/modem configuration to a mac address on the NIC card of the PC that gets connected? Once again, sorry for the questions if they seem obvious.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The normal DOCSIS compliant modem has it's own MAC address, and that's what your service is tied to. If you need a specific MAC address in the client, you can clone the address for any machine to solve that issue.

The broadband router is the clear choice here, ICS sucks large rocks! :eek: :)

5. compgeek101

compgeek101

If you get a wireless dsl/cable router, you can get one that has a four port switch int he back so if the desktop is close to where the cable/dsl modem is then you could wire the desktop to router and would therefore only need one wireless adapter for the laptop. This is what i have done on my network.

6. Mikesa

Mikesa Thread Starter

Thanks all. I just got a wireless Gateway/Router. I think I'll play with it at home and try to overcome the learning curve and go that way.

Thanks again,
    Mike

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice