1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simplifiying in Task Manager?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by G00k, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G00k

G00k Thread Starter

Maybe I'm paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

I regularly look at task manager, and google processes that I don't recognize (which are many). The results are usually: "This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems." There is a memory usage column on the right of each non-essential process. So my questions are:

1. Does each of these non-essential processes tie up that memory in the right column as long as it is listed?

2. Is there a fool-proof way to stop them from launching?

A lot of these are update schedulers. If I need an update, especially when surfing the net, the webpage will tell me. And if the version I'm using works, why would I care to get an unsolicited update message? I think that tying up my memory uselessly IS a problem, don't you? I also think that simplifying the list of processes might go a long way to help noticing an intruder.

Whadya think?

G00k

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!