1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sims 1 Livin' It Up expansion won't install?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Pixelen, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pixelen

Pixelen Thread Starter

Hi, I recently decided to install my old Sims 1 games on to my computer which is Windows 7 and brand new so it should have no problems running them. Anyway, Sims 1 installed fine and I played that for a bit just to test it. There were no problems at all, so I decided to install the rest. I popped in the disk for Livin' It Up (UK version of Livin' Large) but I keep getting an error message when I try to install. This is what it says:

Error extracting support files.
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

The install wizard gets to about 80% before it pops up with this. I've tried running in compatibility mode and running as administrator. Can anyone please help?

2. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

It looks like two instances of the installation are clashing with one another.

Run the installation, replicate the problem then open up your Task Manager - You'll see the setup program running under the Applications tab. Right click the setup application and click 'go to process', this will highlight the setup process under the Processes tab. If there is any other instances of the process running it will be under the exact same process name.

If this is the case end one of them.

If not, it is another process is already running the expansion and the expansion itself is likely trying to repeat the execution. It might help to attempt to install it under Safe Mode (if this is possible). F8 is the key to boot in safe mode.

I hope this works for you. :)

3. Pixelen

Pixelen Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, as I can't autoplay the disc I have to open it manually and run the applications separately. What I've found is that when I run 'start.exe' it opens up the Launcher. Then, if I click install on the Launcher it runs 'setup.exe' from the disc. This is when the installer crashes. However, even when I try to bypass this by opening 'setup.exe' straight away, I still get the same error message and it crashes. I'm going to try it in safe mode in a sec. Could this be related to the fact that i just installed a new antivirus program (avast) and it keeps giving me a message that it thinks The Sims could be malware and tells me to open it in sandbox mode? I do keep clicking 'open normally' though.

Edit: Hmm, interesting... when I run 'setup.exe' in Safe Mode, I get a different error message when it crashes. This one says:

Setup failed to run installation:
    One or more arguments are not correct.

What does that mean? o_O

4. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

That is strange... I'm not sure what's causing it to be honest.

Anti-virus software can have an affect on installations but I don't think Avast would cause this, though it wouldn't hurt to disable it and try once again.

Could you provide me with the full specs of your PC. You can get the details using this: TSG SysInfo

It's from Tech Support Guy so its trusted, just copy and paste your specs in your next post. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!