1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sims 2 Installation Help

Discussion in 'Games' started by Willowrose, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Willowrose

Willowrose Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm trying to install the Sims 2, which has installed fine, but the game won't run. I keep getting the following message:

'Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make
    sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest
    drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.'

I've done Run-dxdiag and it is showing that I have DirectX 9.0c...

I've tried downloading DirectX from the Microsoft website but it says I have the current version.

I'm trying to run it on my Dell Inspiron 1300, Windows XP service pack 3.

Please Help!

Many thanks. :D

2. simsboy27

simsboy27

Hello,

I'm not sure that its the DirectX but instead your Graphics Card.
    This may work... Try these steps in order:
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
    1: Click Start then click Control Panel
    2: In Control Panel click Performance and Maintenance
    3: Then click System
    4: On the Hardware tab click Device Manager
    5: Click Display Adapters and right click the then click your Display Adapter that just expanded
    6: Right Click on your Display Adapter and click Update Driver Software...

Let it update and hopefully your game will work!

Also, please look at this thread to see if your system meets the minimum requirements for the game... http://forums.techguy.org/games/287910-common-sims-2-problems.html

3. Willowrose

Willowrose Thread Starter

Nope :-( Still didn't work. The Driver update said it couldn't find anything more recent than what I've already got...

I tried installing on a newer PC which runs on Windows 7 and has DirectX 11. Again, it installed fine but it took ages to load up and then brought up a message about compatibility issues.

Is it the Sims 2 in general?? I'm not sure how else I can fix it...

Many thanks.

4. simsboy27

simsboy27

Unfortunately, the Intel CMA 900 which is in your Dell Inspiron 1300, is most likely not compatible with the Sims 2.
    As stated here (http://forums.techguy.org/games/287910-common-sims-2-problems.html), you need an ATI or NVIDIA graphics card. Now the thing I'm a little confused about is why it won't run on the Windows 7 PC. Could you tell me what the message said about compatibility issues on the Windows 7 computer? Also, what is the Model of that computer. Lastly, it is not the Sims 2 in general, because The Sims 2 runs just fine on all my machines, even one that is almost ten years old (definitely doesn't run well on a 10 year old PC!).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!