1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sims 2 - Mobility Radeon 9000

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cienna, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cienna

Cienna Thread Starter

I have been having some performance issues with my Sims 2 game, including the fact that the background inside the house is often messed up unless I move the mouse around. It seems to be pulling the background from outside for some reason. The main problem I am having is that my computer keeps freezing whenever my people become best friends and the smiley faces float up. This also happens when there are any cut scenes (ie first kiss). When I restart my computer it says that mobility radeon 9000 has experienced a serious error. I thought that maybe I needed to update my drivers, but when I go to the ati site and download the new drivers I can download them fine, but it won't let me install them. It says that it can't find the original hardware. I don't understand this, because when I look under display it definitely says my video driver is mobility radeon 9000. Thanks for any help!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what computer do you have? What is the specifications and is it a notebook or a desktop?

Also, please do not doublepost. This will save any confusion plus then we can keep track on what's been suggested. :D You can simply put your thread tothe top of the queue by putting *bump* as a post.

Closing other thread.

3. Cienna

Cienna Thread Starter

Sorry for doubleposting. I was getting desperate. Here's my info -

Sony Vaio notebook PCG-GRV670(UC)
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Phoenix Bios 4.0 Release 6.0
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHz
    510 MB Ram
    213MB used 1036MB available
    DirectX 9.0c

4. Topato

Topato

A mobility radeon 9000 is too weak to play Sims 2 well.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    213MB used 1036MB available

Doesn't look good. Your virtual memory is being used a lot there. Virtual memory is space on the hard drive that is used to pretend it's part of the physical memory. If your machine is using that, then your system will slow down.

6. Cienna

Cienna Thread Starter

I'm still getting the feeling it's a problem with my video card, rather than memory. Mainly because of the error message - Mobility Radeon 9000 has experience a drawing error. I've tried to update my drivers at the ATI site, but when I try to install it says video driver not found and then - try setting up your display adapter with a standard VGA driver prior to setup. I'm at a loss at this point.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have to agree with Topato. The graphics card is 64Mb. You need at least 256Mb if you are running Windows XP or 128Mb if you are running Windows 9x/Me.

Your video card is supported, but the memory is too low, hence why your virtual memory is being used too much.

(This is a link to install latest patches/drivers for your machine.)

8. aoeking2

aoeking2

h**p://file2.mydrivers.com/display/wxp-w2k-Mobility-3.6.zip

install this driver and enjoy your SIM2!!!

(Keep your original driver as you will find this one somewhere unsatisfied on TV-OUT function)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!