1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sims game

Discussion in 'Games' started by Davey7549, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Hello Everyone
    My wife Judy would like to get the original Sims game and some of the add ons for our Daughter as a Christmas present. Before we do though we would like to know if anyone has had any conflicts with the software on WinME or does it play fine?
    Thanks Dave

2. yomaddog

yomaddog

My kids have it on their '98-system,...I try installing it on my 'ME', & I'll let you know later on unless someone drops in before then...

3. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Thanks for your time yomaddog sure is kind of you. Justine our Daughter would be very disappointed if the Game She wants could not be played on WinME. The requirements state Win95 Win98. I'll wait to hear back.
    Thanks again.
    Dave

4. AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

No problems on 2 ME machines here Davey. We haven't tried any of the add-ons, and haven't felt the need to(the kids seemed to get bored with it fairly fast and I don't think the add-ons would have changed that) I still play occasionally and the original is enough for me.

Just my 2 cents

5. yomaddog

yomaddog

Hey,...I'm back-

Game works fine here,...( s'pose I'll have to play for a while 'till it all checks out on my machine )

My daughter is 10 1/2 & loves all these Simm's games...( me-2 )

6. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Thank you everyone Judy will be pleased that she can get Justine the gift she wants.
    Dave:D:D:D

7. yomaddog

yomaddog

Well,...got a small problem-

The game takes over the "show-desktop" on your taskbar, takes on some kind of building icon, & then it won't show desktop anymore,...

Took a look at kids Windows '98,...& same thing...(just never noticed, I guess)

Tried uninstalling the game, went diving in to pull out another shortcut from the original, but it has also been altered,...

Other than that, everything else is fine...(reinstalled game - cause it got addictive)...will be nice to find a way to get that desktop button back though,...used it alot...

see-ya,...

8. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

To restore 'Show Desktop' icon,
    In Explorer go to C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch (this is where mine lives)
    In there Right click, select New, then Text document.
    Now double click New Text document.txt to open it, and paste the following between the dashed lines.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then save the file (File-Save As...) as desktop.scf and it should recreate the Show Desktop shortcut...
    Also pressing the Windows key and D does the same thing.

9. winkpc

winkpc

I've been running The Sims on my ME for almost a year with no problems. Have used Living Large and had a problem with the game crashing to desktop, but uninstalling and reinstalling fixed that. I also download user created objects and skins, walls, etc. a lot with no problems ( just do a vrus check on these files before adding them). The Sims home site has some useful downloads too. Try File Cop and if your daughter likes making her own things get the Art Sudio and Homecrafter. They are free.

One word of caution. If one of the add ons you're thinking about is Hot Date, you may want to check it out first. My daughter just told me that some of the things she saw in it were pretty adult oriented. I haven't used it yet, so can't tell you first hand what she meant by that, but I would look into before I gave it to a young person. Other wise the games are great fun and there are some very creative sites out there for adding things into the game.

10. The Great One

The Great One

Buy It As Its Fun !!!! If You Register It On The Web You Can Download All Sorts Of Famous People From The Rock (Me!) to Vince McMahon. Also You Can Buy All Types Of Bolt Ons To Make The Game Even More Then It Already Is So The Rock Says This

'You Take The Dish Dowe Spondonner And Spend It On Your Kids'

IF YA SMELL LA LA LA LA Lowe WHAT THE ROCK IS.................................................................................................................................................................... COOKING!!!!

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

This should be a good exercise for you Dave. Then you can solve the other Sim problems being posted. :)

12. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

JR
    Thanks, Just what I want more things to fix around here.:p
    Dave:D:D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice